Stingray 5 players please help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thrasher717, Jul 31, 2003.

1. Why do people always complain about the weight? 10 pounds is about average for most 5 stringers I have played that. Most of the fender 5 strings, esspecially the P-bass, have been noticeably heavier. Sure it's going to be heavier then a 4 string, but if you can't handle 10 pounds don't play a 5 string.

2. I bought a SR5 about 2 years ago at a sale and have never looked back. Even though I was'nt particularly keen on the colour ( Black Sparkle ) the magnificent sound of this bass, coupled with the eminently playable neck sold me instantly. I had to have it.
    I already owned two Yammy five stringers, which have wider necks and string spacing than the SR5, but had no problems at all in adjusting to the Stingray. Another beaut thing about the rays is the way they smell! Every time you open the case, your nostrils are assulted by the smell of the gunstock oil that they treat the necks with. Does'nt really add to the sound in any way, but it does give a charming aura of quality to this fine instrument. :)

3. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Not quite...have you seen that 7-string Eschenbaugh on sale here at TalkBass? 6.5lbs for a SEVEN string bass. More strings doesn't mean heavier.

4. I didn't say ALL basses more then 4 strings have to be heavy, but saying 10 pounds is heavy is rediculous. There are lots of light basses, but most are not going to be that light, and 10 pounds is about average for a 5 stringer. Yet whenever people come up with a reason the SR5 is a bad choice I always hear the "Oh it weighs 10 pounds!" arguement when these same people are touting Fender's horn or some other company with equally heavy basses. I am not saying that's what is happening here, but I think it's unjustified to call a SR5 heavy. I have a FOUR string P bass that is like 10 pounds.

People can't be limiting themselves because of the weight of a bass when said weight is not a factor at all!

5. thrasher717

thrasher717

Jan 17, 2003
    North Dakota
    Wow. I appreciate all the interest in my topic. I should clear a few things up.

Yes, I like the P-bass and wondered if a SR5 can sound like a P-bass. I didn't mean I need it to sound like a P-bass. I think I'd welcome a more agressive sound. I've been playing bass less than three years (I'm a former guitarist who has seen the light) and initially I sucked and just wanted to blend in. Now I suck less and I wouldn't mind standing out a little more in the mix.

I'd love to drive to Minneapolis for a weekend to try out different instruments. But I have three kids (the oldest just turned 3) and I think my wife would kill me if I told her I was leaving her at home alone with them while I go shopping for a new bass. She's incredibly supportive of my being in a band, but that wouldn't go over too well.

I guess what I'll do is order one from Musicians Friend, try it for 44 days, and send it back on the 45th if I don't like it.

Thanks again for all the input.

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

They are heavy basses. I have one bass heavier than a 'Ray 5, my Jazz. It weighs about 11 1/2 lbs.

All of my other basses are 9 pounds or less. That includes 2 5 strings, 2 6 strings, and a 12 string. Stingray fives are heavy.

7. I guess I just don't see 10 lbs. as heavy. The difference between 7 lbs and 10 lbs is hardly significant for me esspecially when I am too busy concentrating on something else. I only weigh 145 lbs. myself, and if I can hold it up for 2 hours, I should think most people can.

I don't know about your basses, but the SR5, compared to most of the 5 strings I have tried (including Peavy, Fender, and Warwick) have been nearly the same weight. As I said I have played Fenders that weighed 14-15 lbs. and known people who play such instruments on stage for hours, so I just think that calling 10 lbs. heavy is a crap excuse to dislike the instrument. Claiming that 2.5 lbs lighter that another bass might be, or even a single pound, would make a difference is just crap. Unless we are talking about a 5 lbs. 5 string bass, I hardly see how the SR5 can be considered heavy.

8. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    Why should a player stop playing the 5 string if he or she feels that 10 lbs is a bit heavy for there liking?there're a number of good 5 string basses that don't weigh 10 lbs.My Tobias weighs 8.5 lbs my lakland just about the same both of which I bought used for the price of a SR5.Oh by the way my 74'Fender Jazz weighs about 13lbs(or more)4 strings.:D

9. RSmith

RSmith Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Springfield, Missouri
    Get you an SR5, I think you'll do fine. I play a G&L SB-2 (old one that has a neck more like a P than a J) and I got my SR5 on sat. and I absolutely love it. I'm also coming from using a Lakland 55-94 deluxe which has a little wider string spacing. Fingering is a minor adjustment, but unless you have a gig that night it's no biggie.I couldn't slap near as well on the Lakland as the SR5 and I dig the tone too! Different than the Lakland and the P for that matter, but killer in it's own way. I reccomend it 100%.

10. masaru

masaru

Aug 8, 2001
    Okinawa, Japan
    I loved my SR5 until I played a friend's G&L 2500. We traded basses right there on the spot. The dual pups, active/passive electronics and series/parallel options made it way more flexible than my beloved StingRay. It won't replace my Modulus Q5 as my main axe......just yet!

11. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    I agree with MasaMax.The Sr5 does come with a variety of tones unfortunetly,the tones that it comes with are not to my liking and I have a piezo bridge with mine.The Preamp is still Zingy (although it has been switch to a Aguilar op3/and back again.The Aguilar made it even brighter !)as far as the SR5 getting a jazz tone....it doesn't even come close(that's not a bad thing,but it would be nice if it did)string to string balance,and spacing really needs to be address and it would also be nice if they would reduce some of the weight of this bass but that's JMO.With that being said, these are the reasons that my SR5 is in the corner of my living room collecting dust.I basically just play my Tobias 5 and MTD 635 and ocassionaly my lakland 55-02 because the playablity and the focus of the electronics in these other basses are WORLDS AHEAD of the SR5 IMO.As one TBer said in this thread there's alot more out there that is better(even used)than the SR5 but if that is what you want then it really doesn't matter what anyone says about the SR5.Good Luck.

12. I couldn't agree more. Slapping on my SR is as easy as pie. I sometimes find it hard to believe the big deal people make out of the string spacing. A good player should be able to adjust IMO, and shouldn't limit themselves just because it's not something they are used to. And you are also correct, the SR5 is not a P bass, or anything else. You get a SR for the SR sound.

But I have to disagree with you hands5. I can get an almost J-bass sound from my SR, and with the correct tweakings ALMOST a P-bass sound. It's hard to get that thump from a bass that is so bright, but my opinion on the sound is that I can ALWAYS tone down the bright on the bass so it's almost not there, but I have never played a bass where you can effectively tone UP the bright without it sounding like crap.

13. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I moved away from the SR5 because I liked the B sound on 35-inch scale basses. I was not so much conscious of the spacing. I seem to be able to adapt to anything with time. This was the case switching from the Lakland to the Modulus. I think the SR5's have a lot of nuances to their tone; not a one-trick pony as others suggest. It's heavy but balanced. The neck is fast and the bridge is massive causing great sustain. I would only suggest buying a SR5 used. However, Laklands, for example, offer so many more tonal options. Go with the best your budget can stand.

14. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    For the weight people-i have been playing it for the past 3 days so far for right about 7 hrs a day. 3hrs break [1 hr] then 4hrs. My shoulder is sore, but it was sore last year with my Pilot Plus 5. It is not an unbearable weight. I'm pro-SR5 as i haven't had mine for quite a year. If the tone of the SR5 is what you hear in your head, GET ONE. That being said, I found out today that i'm going to my uncles house this weekend. He's really lucky/rich. He's got a REAL '72 [i think] P-Bass CAR, mint condition, a 70s Strat natural same condition, and got a custom MTD i think a 4 string. I'm bring my Ray5 over since he wants to try one out. :D That's all

15. Ok. Here's my story.
    When I saved enough money to buy the stingray 5, I said "I have to try it first. There is so many diferent of them". So I took the drive (more than 500km) to get to the best store in Germany (more than 300 basses). Finally after 6 hours of narrowing the competition I chose Alembic Orion 5. I love it and I always get the creeps when somebody wants to order a bass without trying it (sometimes paying thounsands of dollars for it).

I know it is difficult, but it IS worth it.
    It took us few days here at TB to convince a mother to drive the kid to a music store for his birthday insted of buying him a bass (she wanted to get him a fender, but then he chose a warwick).

Good luck anyway.

Jure

16. thrasher717

thrasher717

Jan 17, 2003
    North Dakota
    OK, you've talked some sense into me. Thank you. I had some serious GAS last week when I originally posted this, and I was ready to spend $1500 on anything . I've since discovered that there is a MM dealer in Winnipeg, which is less than 2 hrs away. May be going there this weekend.

17. optikill

optikill

Aug 1, 2003
    let us know what you find out!