1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stingray 5 pots?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by devnulljp, Sep 21, 2017.

1. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    So I bought a used Stingray5, and I love the way it sounds.
    The treblepot has a centre detent, while the mod and bass pots don't really have a detent as such -- more of a sort of clicky part of the sweep.
    Should I replace them?> Do the normally have definitive detent?
    Anyone know the specs?

2. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I have 2 Stingray5s, one from 1997, the other is a 2003 model. Both have detents on all 3 bands of the EQ but the oldest they're sorta' loose. I don't mind, no need to change them if they're not making noises. Besides, they're not in the way of any picking or plucking that they'd move while playing.

devnulljp likes this.
  3. Geri O

Geri O

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Agreed.

Unless they are noisy, they are fine, even with a slightly loose center detent.

Having said that, I'm about to replace the the 4 pots, the output jack, and the pickup switch in my 99 SR5 as a matter of preventative maintinience. They are, after all, 18 years old. Might replace the battery box, too. It's the flimsy plastic flip-up thing. No problems so far, but I'd like it to stay that way.

BTW, congrats on your acquisition!

devnulljp likes this.
  4. Gbonus Uralias

Gbonus Uralias

Sep 11, 2017
    California
    Congrats on the new SR5.

I have 3 SR5's and each one feels different.
    True - all three tone knobs should have a mid-way detent.
    My newest is an 2009 and it's detents are the most noticeable and accurate.
    The other two (98 and 2000) are all over the place in feel, but no noise and still modifies the sound correctly, so no change.

Post some pics of your new ray please ;-)

5. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    All the tone pots on a 3-band SR5 will have detents. However if you can't feel it is because whoever screwed on the knob did it when the pot shaft was not at 'detent' position, so it's not hitting that dip as you rotate it.
    Unscrew the knob and rotate the shaft, you'll feel the detent. Then reinstall your knobs.

devnulljp and liverbird like this.
  6. If you end up wanting to replace them, probably your best bet is to call EBMM Customer Service.

I assume they would sell you the replacement pots, since they aren't proprietary items.

The values of the pots, which mount directly to the circuit board, are labelled on the pots.

7. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    Took a quick pic at rehearsal last week.

photo 5.JPG

Attached Files:

Gbonus Uralias, Geri O and andruca like this.