Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

stingray 5 question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CJY, Aug 11, 2001.

1. CJY

CJY

Apr 30, 2001
    Singapore
    I've got a stingray 5 question here.I've heard about how good they are(that 34" B!) and the nut and bridge dimensions fit my hand nicely.The problem is the WEIGHT.The thought of strapping on a 10 lbs beast is a turn off for me.Is there a stingray 5 out there that weighs less than 9 lbs?Does the heavy body weight really affect the tone?If they change to a lighter body wood ,will it still sound as good?

2. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    While 10 pounds isn't light, it's not all that heavy. If you invest in a nice padded strap it'll make it more comfortable.

3. LowfreqB

LowfreqB

Nov 10, 2000
    United States
    I own a stingray5 and the weight doesnt seem to bother me all that much. However I wear the bass higher then my belt line. If you wear your bass like a rock star, then be prepared to visit your chiropractor quite a bit. Your question re: tone of lighter basses. Yes it will effect the tone, how much? I dont want to know. I love the tone I have now!

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Ten pounds is plenty heavy if you're going to wear the danged thing through four sets. It is a challenge for us geezers.

5. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Im used to my 11 pound P bass, so when I goto guitar center to play my dream bass - stingray5 - it doesnt seem THAT heavy. It will be mine, oh yes, it will be mine :)

6. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Compared to the Warwick Corvette Standard 5 I have, it feels ten pounds lighter. The good thing is that the Stingray 5 is balanced, whereas the Corvette is neck-heavy and flops.

7. Agreed, the Ray5 is heavy, but it is the most well balanced bass I've ever had on a strap (although I think I've played a total of 5 or 6 basses on a strap before :p )

It took time for me to adjust to it (my other bass weighs about 7.5 lbs), but nowadays I practice on it for hours at a time standing without any problems. A nice big strap helps too.

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yep. That's one of the reasons that my Jazz doesn't see much action anymore. The second is that it just doesn't have enough strings.