1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Stingray 5 - so many knobs (& switches), so little time!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by snoopyjc, Nov 21, 2003.

1. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    My goodness, gimme a frickin break.

I added a comment to my 1st reply for those of you who can't handle a little bit of sarcasm...

And anyways, the dude didn't ask for opinions on the colour of his bass, he asked for ideas of settings... you went and said your negative opinion of the looks of his bass and I said what I wanted, to let him know that we all don't think his bass is ugly (or dislike it or whatever.)

I keep my opinion to myself unless it is A) something positive/nice to say or B) I was asked for my opinion.

Whatever happened to "if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all" ??

Whatever.

2. JayAmel

JayAmel Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Carcassonne, France
    You do what you want, but what you do is not an universal rule.

As far as I know, expression is free here, but insults are not.

3. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    Yes, you're right, I'm wrong.

If you don't have something nice to say, keep it to yourself (unless you were asked). Learn to take a bit of sarcasm. Snoopyjc didn't ask your opinion on the looks of his bass, so why state your opinion on it, especially when it could hurt his feelings? (I doubt it did, but some people take things to heart, obviously.)

If i said "Ignore these bozos" instead of "Ignore these fools" would you have taken it better? All I was doing was attempting to make him feel better, I'm sorry for calling you a fool.

I will refrain from saying any more because it won't do any good.

If you have anything more to say to me, use a PM, otherwise, lets let this get back on topic.

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    you learn something new every day. I always though the middle position was Single coil. Either way I've been using it for mellow tunes and for songs where the classic stingray kick doesn't suit. A bit of a treble cut helps here.

I also use the series position most of the time. But you know those gigs you get occasionally where the room acoustics are awful, and you just can't get a good sound no matter what you do. You play with you EQ till you've tried everything but it still sound bad. That's when I flick over to Parallel mode and for some reason, it solves the problem most of the time. Don't ask me why.......

I tend to use a flat EQ. I make minor adjustments for some songs but I've found a little dab is all you need. The EQ knobs are pretty touchy. As the strings get older I tend to add a bit of treble.

You're gonna love that bass..............

5. si_mon13

si_mon13

Sep 1, 2003
    denmark
    man, you're the one taking stuff to seriously, i was just giving my opinion. the importaint thing is that he's happy with it.

and no im not happy with my legend either, that's why im ordering a shuker these days.

6. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    I like the sound of the B string best with the PU selector set in the middle (single coil + phantom) position.

I usually cut the treble and midrange some.

I sometimes use just a little bass boost (depends on the acoustics of the room).

To me the lower end sounds more articulate at this type of setting and has better tonal balance across all strings.

7. I just wanted to thank everybody for their advice. Here is what I'm using for settings:
    • Rock/Regee: Switch towards fretboard, treble turned down halfway, bass turned up slightly, midrange in the middle
    • Funk: Switch in the middle, other controls as they were.
    When I had the treble control in the middle, the soundman complained about all of the finger noise coming out of the bass - you see, I tend to hit the strings fairly hard. Turning the treble down solved this problem. I do LOVE the sound and the intonation on this bass is the best I've ever seen!

I did have my "Guitar Guy" add a thumbrest to it for me.

And, as you can probably tell, it's in my FAVORITE color!

--joe

8. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    I like the SR5' look. it's gorgeous. but ia haven't tried one yet.is that hard to slap on this 5 strings??? cos i love slapping. what is the string spacing please?

9. Its very easy to slap, and produces a great slap sound to boot.
    I believe the string spacing is 17mm.
    :bassist:

10. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    oh cool !! cos i have a spector US with 16.5 mm and find it pretty hard to slap sometimes... is the sound of the SR5 the same as the stingray 4 strings? i mean, does it have the same growl and attack? Is the E string growly as well. cos sometimes with 5 strings you get a E string less good than with the 4 string version.

11. Rodan

Rodan

Feb 4, 2002
    Hollywood, FL
    I used to play in parallel mode (switch towards bridge) and with all EQ knobs flat.

But I play with a pick about 70% of the time, due the the type of music my band plays, and just like bucephylus said, I recently found that in the series mode, playing with a pick sometimes sounds better - it's got a slight bump in the mids, I think? I still keep it in parallel for fingerstyle, and now I'm boosting the bass just a tiny bit.

A lot of people say stingrays are one trick ponys. I always just assumed my bass would sound the same no matter what, so I never really tried anything new, but I'm just now starting to find out that with a little tweaking, you can change your tone. Wouldn't say it's a dramatic change, but significant enough tht you and the rest of the band will notice.

Now, what I'm trying to do now is find a way to get the most p-bass sounding tone out of an SR5. Anyone recommend any particular settings or EQ?

12. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    before i was looking for a versatile bass, very versatile which can play everything but as my teacher also said,...we look for different sounds in our bass and we try to play every style, to have every sound,etc..and then we finally can get any good sound. we get several sounds but never the one we want. I did that and ended by selling the so much versatile bass that i had. now i know that i love the stingray sound and then i'm gonna buy a stingray. a five strings maybe and with piezo just to be able to extend a bit the possibilities but i don't want to spend one day to find my sound. i want the sound to be there just when i plug my bass.

13. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Before you even touch any of the knobs, try plucking closer to the neck. I even find myself playing over the top of the first few frets sometimes. It smothes out that stingray kick.

If it's not P-Bass enough yet, switch to the centre pickup position. It's smoother again.

Need more? Then cut the highs, leave the mids flat, and boost the lows.

Keep experimenting till you find a combination that suits your playing.

14. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    :meh: not bad petebass !

15. Alright, here's what I do on my stingray 5

The switch is ALWAYS to the right.

The highs are boosted half-way, and the mids are boosted half-way. The lows are left alone.

16. I got a sexy black '91 SR5, baby!

I play mostly funk/soul/R&B/reggae/dub/gospel/jazz.

I have two general settings:

1) General fingerstyle playing:
    Switch - right (towards bridge)
    Treble - middle
    Mid - middle
    Bass - full

2) Slapping:

Treble - full
    Mid - middle
    Bass - full

I also have a third style when playing dub/reggae:

Treble - all the way down
    Mid - all the way down
    Bass - full

And to make the tone fat, I play the strings right over the last frets of the neck (Sly & Robbie style). And to make it REALLY fat, I patch the bass signal over an envelope filter pedal. BOOM! :bassist:

17. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Gee's Ray, you've got the bass full the whole time. That would drive my rig pretty darn hard, especially at gig volume. Do you find yourself cutting the bass at the amp to compensate?

18. Hahah actually on my Hartke 3500 I BOOST the low contour to about 2 or 3 o'clock :) I just like a lot of bottom to shake them bootys.

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 13, 2021