1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stingray 5 special or 30th anniversary ??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mojacko, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Hi,

I’m currently looking for EBMM stingray 5, and now I’m on dilemma between two great candidate.

- 30th anniversary stingray 5, beautiful looking, could be collectible. $1800 NOS

- 2018 stingray special, I’ve read lot of positive comment about some improvement on the new model. price also cheaper $1400

anybody have try them both ?
    need your opinion

thank you

596C9AAF-5B13-4303-A75D-01D2CC9A7121. FA5D9291-E9EC-4716-9847-B8A48DEEF4B5. A1EDCF5C-55BD-4DBA-BDC4-F4EBE564D3D4. 4AF2BB18-073C-4BA1-B99D-59864B4D26E7.

2. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    It’s really personal preference. Those basses are going both sound andnfeel differently .
    It might not be possible but I’d say try both or at least one of them and see which you prefer.

I’s go for the Special because of the lighter weight, smaller body , extra frets and more comfy body contours as well as the tones I can get out of the 5 HH . I also don’t like neck binding .

3. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    I actually like the 30th model over the Special....and therein lies the problem with asking others which you should get.
    I love the look of the roasted flame maple with the cream Binding, I also prefer the larger bridge with the two side anchor points.
    I have only played both for about 20 minutes each, so I can’t really say much about long-term use...

Probably 85% of players are begging for super light-weight instruments, and EB made all those changes for that reason - to sell more Stingrays. I, on the other hand, prefer a bass no less than 10 lbs...I just like the way it feels. One of my basses is 9 lbs and it kind of feels like a toy.

4. Thank you for your opinion,

unfortunately stingray special not yet available in my country, and the last available 30th has been sold few weeks ago.

So I will buy one of them online without trying first. thats why I choose 2 best candidates, the new special and the old but also special, lol

lowdownthump likes this.
  5. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Nice Squier Classic Vibe Precision.
    I’ve owned several. Great basses.

6. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Those 30th anniversary SR5s are gorgeous! EBMM is going to keep making the Specials, but they’re done making the 30ths. Jump on that 30th while you can!

7. Actually, that is not Squier :)

I thought so, will try to make an offer for the 30th

Slater likes this.
  8. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Oops!! Nice looking Pbass then.

9. Indeed she is, take a closer look here : #1360

lowdownthump likes this.
  10. NorseBear0903

NorseBear0903

Nov 26, 2018