1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

StingRay 5 Special Pickguards

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by corganmurray, Nov 15, 2018.

1. corganmurray

corganmurray

Feb 10, 2012
    I've got a brand new StingRay 5 Special (natural finish), and it's pretty much my dream bass, except for the fact that it's obviously missing a tort pickguard (currently it's got a black pickguard). I've been searching online and coming up empty handed. Does anyone know where I can get my hands on one?

This is the look I'm going for:
    mum_sr5-nat-6721-mn6.

Chad Michael likes this.
  2. Have you tried wdmusic.com.. they’ve got a lot of cool pickguards

3. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Chandler , Pickguardian, or Quickguards.
    I have a pickguard coming next week from Quickguards for my new Stingray5 Special HH. It’s my 2nd one from Mike Quick. He does great work .

4. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    I with the OP. None of the aforementioned suppliers offer the Special pickguards online without requiring a sample or template. Leaves me concerned about the communication — I emailed a couple, and their responses left me unsure they understood the difference between a pre-2018 ‘Ray and a Special. If I’m buying am $80 piece of plastic, I want to make sure the supplier gets it right.

5. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Just a suggestion - you might try a little negotiation where you send them your current pickguard so they can make a template for future sales, and you get a free or discounted pickguard for helping them out.

I've seen folks who make aftermarket carbon fiber automobile trim pieces who have this as a standing offer on their websites, i.e. "if we don't list your car/part, contact us...... etc.".

6. HD007

HD007 Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2018
    Some TBers have posted about getting them from QuickGuard. Around post #923 in the Stingray Special club thread.

You might want to post your query in the club thread as some folks have found what you’re looking for

lowdownthump likes this.
  7. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    I don’t want to take my bass out of commission. They should have the templates by now.

Luigir likes this.
  8. corganmurray

corganmurray

Feb 10, 2012
    I just sent a message to the folks at QuickGuard -- thanks for the intel, gang!!

lowdownthump likes this.
  9. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    At one point in the last year or so EBMM posted on their forum said who they're using to make their pickguards (pickguard heaven? don't think it was pickguardian, I think?).
    I'd go look for that link.

10. corganmurray

corganmurray

Feb 10, 2012
    Quick update: I tried reaching out to Quickguard via their website contact form, email, and eventually a DM on Instagram, but never got a reply. Sent a message to Planet Pickguard and they replied last night and my order is going in today :)

For anyone interested, the pickguard template for a single humbucker new Stingray Special 5 string is 34010 and the double humbucker is 34012. Their website hasn't been updated with this info yet, but I called to verify :)

HD007 and Stevorebob like this.
  11. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    los angeles
    is this the post?
    EBMM StingRay Special Club
    here's scott ball's post a few posts later
    EBMM StingRay Special Club

12. HD007

HD007 Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2018
    I’m happy with the guards I got from Planet Pickguard. Hope you like yours!

lowdownthump likes this.
  13. corganmurray

corganmurray

Feb 10, 2012
    Hey @HD007, do you remember what color/material you went with? The tort in your profile pic looks great!

lowdownthump likes this.
  14. HD007

HD007 Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2018
    Thanks- am on the road so will get back to you. The guard in avatar was from another TBer so I forget details at moment.

15. HD007

HD007 Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2018
  16. JaseOfBase

JaseOfBase

Jan 6, 2019
    Does anyone know if you can get the Stingray 5 style pickguard for the Stringray 4?

I hate the look of the stand-alone plate under the knobs.