Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stingray 5 string pickup position

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Petebass, Jan 9, 2003.

1. Closest to the Bridge

13 vote(s)
    72.2%
  2. Middle Position

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  3. Closest to the neck

4 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    This is for Stingray 5 users. What position is your pickup selector in most of the time? Please feel free to elaborate.

1. Closest to the Bridge
    2. Middle Position
    3. Closest to the neck
      [/list=1]

2. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    The "closest to neck" position of the switch seems to me to give the thickest tone. And that's what I like.

3. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I like the "closest to the bridge position" IE parallel. The series position can get a little too much of a nasal honk to it. But I will use it if I feel I need to cut through a little more.

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I keep mine in parallel position for most gigs (closest to the bridge). Tightest, growliest position, IMO. I noticed Tony Levin keeps his there also (many a slo-motioned VCR tape to figure that one out, both with Peter Gabriel on Secret World Live and on King Crimson's Deja Vroom).

Occassionally when I do a strictly blues gig, I'll put it in series position (neck) for the hollower, more boomy lows, just to fit the music better.

5. I often use the single coil (middle) position. Not quite as aggressive as the series position but with more mids than the parallel position. I really dig the parallel position too and I use it as well. I never use the series position. Mmmmmmm, I love my SR5! :D

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Thanks for your votes and opinions guys. I had more time to get to know the bass now and this poll seems to confirm my findings.

I find myself comming back to the Bridge position most of the time. I use the single coil for older, more mellow stuff, and the neck position if for some reason the stage has a ****ty treble response. I don't know that it cuts the treble, but it seems to produce a different kind of treble.