Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stingray 5 String Spacing

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by angrydad, May 8, 2005.

1. angrydad

angrydad

Jul 31, 2004
    annville,pa.
    Hey Bass Maniacs,
    I'm used to playing a J style 5 string with Fender 5 string spacing. I don't play much slap style, but when I do, I find this spacing to be comfortable.
    Does anyone play both a Fender style 5 and a Stingray 5, and if so, how do you find the MM string spacing for slap ?
    Feel free to post clips...I enjoy listening to a fellow bass brother's/sister's offerings...and don't say you suck!...it's a journey!!!

2. Hey there AngryDad, I slap my Stingray 5 constantly. The string spacing is perfect for my hands. I have found that some of the wider necked basses available do provide more room for slapping, however I find that for me most of those basses hinder the speed and comfort that I get with the streamlined Stingray 5 neck. I have owned a few Fender Jazz 5s and a Mike Lull M5 and I recall that their string spacing was very close to that of the Stingray 5. Here are a few examples of me slapping my Stingray 5. The first tune is a slow passage the second one is slightly faster.

http://www.soundclick.com/util/streamM3U.m3u?ID=2015443&q=Hi

http://www.soundclick.com/util/streamM3U.m3u?ID=2017328&q=Hi

Cheers,
    Bassjones

3. Deep

Deep

May 8, 2002
    NY
    I love Stingray fives.They slap real well. And they are comfortable. But for me I need wider spacing. Even fender fives are a little narrow for me. Lakland and Sadowsky as well as some other fives out there have "real fender" spacing (19mm) at the bridge and wide fretboards toward the last fret. But seems like Fender itself don't have fender spacing on their fives... hee hee. I like them wide at the last fret too, around 3" which fender fives don't seem to have, except the signature Roscoe Beck model.....and maybe the Marcus Miller model.

4. As I recall, the Stingray 5 spacing is 11/16". It is what I would consider 'medium' spacing.... in comparison to a 5/8" (narrow) or 3/4" (wide.)

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

If it wasn't for the narrow string spacing both at the nut and at the bridge, I would own a Stingray 5. Total nut width on a Ray 5 is 1-3/4", and I believe bridge spacing is 5/8". I could be wrong, but it's definitely not 3/4", which is the "standard" spacing on Fender basses (fours and fives).

6. Deep

Deep

May 8, 2002
    NY
    Hi Fuzz...did fender make their standard spacing on fives wider? Cuz I don't remember them being 3/4" at the bridge.

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

The Roscoe Beck 5 and Precision Deluxe 5 both have 3/4" bridge spacing. I can't speak for the Jazz bass fivers.