Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

stingray 5 versus 4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by muhammadsmith, Oct 15, 2003.

1. i'm buying a newer used stingray bass, and i have a dilemma: i really don't need a 5 string for anything, and i've only played 4 strings for the most part. however, i have the opportunity to buy a really great 5 string stingray bass for about $100 less than a used 4 string. i don't really need the low b, but are there any drawbacks to having it? will i notice the difference in string spacing enough to hinder my playing?

2. Dublin-Bass

Dublin-Bass Guest

Sep 24, 2003
    Dublin, Ireland
    I don't have a 5-string but I have played a Stingray5 before.The string spacing is essentially narrower then that of the 4-string. I think you should go for it.After all,even if you don't get to use it often,you can still experiment with. Besides you just never know when someone will ask "do you have a 5-string?" Most session players use it for it's extra range.

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I personally prefer the 5, though I don't use the low B string much its there if and when I need it for a tune. It also makes a great thumbrest.

The neck will be a bit wider than the 4, of course, and the string spacing will be a tad narrower, but not too much that it should bother you. I really like the sound of the 5's active preamp.

Play them both and decide for yourself.

4. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Go for the 5. If worse comes to worst, you can always sell your Stingray 5 and get a Stingray 4 or something else you like by that time. They are great basses. I still sometimes regret selling my stingray 4, however that cash opened me up to greener pastures.

-P

5. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I've always had a problem considering the Stingray 5 a true "Stingray". Its been said before and I agree thats its really a 5 String Sterling. I say this because to me it nailes all of the Sterling tones but still slightly misses the Stingray tone but it is barely noticable. I've owned both and I'd go with the 4 string but Thats just my opinion. I think the difference in tone between 5 as well as the sterling must have something to do with the pickups being made out of different materials than the 4 string stingrays is. Just a thought. If you want a 4 buy a 4. I bought the 5 cause it seemed like a good deal when I really wanted the 4. It was a good deal but I ended up in the end selling the 5 for a 4 and was happier myself.;)

6. thanks for the great responses. after reading this, i think i'll buy the five. i think i could probably sell it for more on ebay than the person who is selling it to me, and use that money to buy a 4 if i'm unhappy with it.

7. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    It's a Stingling :)

Please stop calling my Ray 5 a Sterling. It gets upset.

For the clasic stingray tone, use the move the pickup selector to the position closest to the bridge.

8. niomosy

niomosy

Nov 9, 2002
    You might just check into the possibility of having the 5 set for EADGC instead of BEAD.

I was originally thinking I'd get a 4 as I don't typically need the B but I'm pretty sure I'll get a 5 and go the EADGC route instead

9. That's what I intended to do when I was moving from 4 strings to 5, however, I quickly became addicted to the feel of the B buzzing against my chest. Also, the extra string means that I don't always have to move fretting hand to fret 1-4 when I wanted to play the lower notes of the E string; they're readily accessible from frets 5-x on the B string.

An unexpected advantage of the 5th string ...

Rob.

10. niomosy

niomosy

Nov 9, 2002
    Never found using the B as an alternative E at the 5th fret to be a huge thing for me. I've gotten pretty used to frets 0-4.

I guess different things for different people ;)

11. i like the look of the stingray 4..with the oval pci guard, as aposed to the pciguard like a sterling on the stingray 5 that goes around the control knobs..also the 4 string has the cool chrome plate around the control knobs... very nice

12. BassJaro

BassJaro

Jul 30, 2003
    to all of you who complain about the looks of SR5 (I like the name 'Stingling', lol) - how about this? sweet, isn't it?

[​IMG]

13. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003
    you could always put a high c on it.

14. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    Go SR5!!!!!

15. lionel

lionel

Sep 3, 2003
    Guadeloupe - FWI
    humm, if you don't play the B why do you need a 5 strings bass:D :) it will put you in trouble for slap or other particular techniques...and a larger neck is not so comfortable when you use to play a 4 string bass

Of course it 's a nice deal but do you really need new problems for 100 dollars saved ? and I agree with what has been said before : "stingling" is not Stingray:D

:D ;)