Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stingray 5 vs. Fender jazz V????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fat jonny, Aug 15, 2000.

1. fat jonny

fat jonny

Jul 8, 2000
    Columbus Ohio
    I play metal and rock and was looking at a stingray 5 for my next bass. I read some of the posts on this forum and got the impression that the fender jazz (MIA) plays better than the ray, but has a better sound, but I really have no idea. I would mostly be looking for a tight E string (I don't use the B too often so it's not my main concern), and a punchy, sound with a really solid low end and is somewhat flexible. I use a pick most of the time too, so a close string spacing would probably be good. Also, I saw the review of the Stingray5 in bass player, and was just wondering if you guys would agree with their rating (just about perfect). Thanks a lot!!!

2. Jonny, I'm no 5-string expert, but I've played them both, and I can tell you, the MusicMan StingRay 5 is one of the best basses I've ever played, period. Way better than the Fender Jazz 5. I'm not real good with the 5, but last time I picked up a 'Ray 5 in a store, I almost didn't notice the B string.. the instrument just feels good and plays like butter. I would say if your choice is only between those two, get the MusicMan.
    Of course, you should play them side-by-side and decide for yourself.

3. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    MusicMan, all the way. Its a great bass, and perfect for your music. Its much less floppy (the strings) than the Fender. And it DOES have a good B string, Fender does NOT in this case. So MusicMan, all the way.

4. RussP

RussP

Jun 15, 2000
    jonny;
    I have a deluxe active jazz V and believe me the music man is far supieror to the MIM Fender. My neck is like a rubber band. Today I'v spent about 2 hours trying to get in touch with a customer service rep from Fender and all I got was a fat long distance bill. I own two strats, P Bass lyte deluxe, american P bass, MIM jazz and the MIM active jazz V and to be honest I don't think I'll ever buy another Fender Prouuct.

Yes I think a Music Man Stringray V is next on my list after I dump this piece of **** Fender V

Please remember this is my opinion and I mean no disrespect to those that may have purchased a nice V string from Fender.

RussP

[Edited by RussP on 08-15-2000 at 02:34 PM]

5. gmstudio99

gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I have a nice MIM V string from Fender. :)

Question, if you're not going to use the B that often, why get the 5? How about a nice 4?

-GM

6. GM, why not get 5... even if you're not going to use it often it's nice to have! (just like having head room with an amp :D ) it's always nice having the ability to expand your sound so why limit it to 4 strings even if you're only going to use the 4 most of the time =) That's my opinion!

-Willz

7. While playing a 5-string and having more headroom with an amp both offer you expanded possibilities, the 5-string requires you to change your way of thinking, and most probably your technique, to incorporate that extra string. Big difference from a simple matter of being able to turn your amp up louder. If you're not going to use the B very often, it can be a real pain to have, 'cause you have to worry about muting it all the time. GM has a good point.

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Go for the Stingray. Awesome B string. Great fit & finish. Great resale value. VERY stable neck.

But DO remember - The mighty 'Ray is pretty much a one trick pony. Oh, with the active EQ you can tweak the tone a little, but it's always gonna sound like a Stingray.

Almost bought one meself before the great deal on the Rapture fell in me lap. ;)

9. Chants: Sting-ray 5... Sting-ray 5...:)

10. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    *COUGH* get the Stingray 5 *COUGH*

And I guess I would agree with gmstudio and David on getting a nicer 4 string. I PERSONALLY don't think you need any lower string, unless the guitarist has a 7 string or Drop D tuning guitar.. thats just me.. and from what I hear.. most Basses' B string sucks. so Why get it? UNless your thinking about a 5 string with E A D G C tuning ;) not thats a diff story.. but thats just my 2 cents

DM

11. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I owned a '97 American Jazz V and hated it--the felt and played like a log. On the other hand, my '98 Stingray 5 is one of my favorite axes. No question in my mind about the MM's superiority. The 'ray sounds great and plays effortlessly. Also, the workmanship is fantastic and the thing is beautiful...

12. Scottzo

Scottzo

Jan 20, 2000
    STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5 STINGRAY 5

13. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I tried a MIA Jazz V and bought a Stingray 5. I think the Stingray sounds, plays and looks 'better'.

THe Std J has passives that may not cut through for metal etc. THe B is loose.

Another line of thought is a Stingray 4 with a hipshot machinehead. You can set the preset drop to D C# or C
    and hit the lever for the odd low note.

That my opinion.

Best thing is to A/B (C) your shortlist through your amp if possible. Your money your choice happy hunting.

Thats my opinion too.

14. gmstudio99

gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    My experience has always been the opposite...I love the sound of a soloed active bass, but once there's a drummer and guitar chunking along, active basses always seem to get swallowed up. The growly passive Jazz pickups cut through like nobody's business.

YMMV

-GM

15. I'm not saying your wrong GM, but my band is loud and I never had that problem with any of my Stingrays, but I did find that I had to get an outboard pre-amp and add mid range to enable my Jazz to cut through to my liking. I now find my Jazz (4 string) very usable, and use it much more. :D
    I have never tried a Jazz V, maybe they have more midrange.

16. gmstudio99

gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I should have clarified that I don't play metal. I play in a pop trio (guitar, bass, drums.) Even the guitar player, formerly a professional bassist himself, agreed that the passive sounded much clearer in our particular setup...again, it's just my opinion and a very narrow limited experience.

Perhaps it's the trio aspect, where the bass is required to step forward a bit more and be heard, that led me to this conclusion. In my experience, actives have sounded "warmer" and more controlled, and blend into larger instrumentations much better.

:)

-GM

17. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    DON'T F*** AROUND! Get the Stingray. I rarely hear complaints about them as opposed to the fender. I always hear "The bridge is crooked" or "The 4 bolt joint is weak" or "Passive pickups aren't loud enough."
    The only compaints on the stingray are "This bass plays too well" or "It's too reliable" or "It sounds like a stingray." Is sounding like a stingray a bad thing?
    BTW, plenty of metal bassists use stingrays. Newsted and the guy from megadeth use them in the studio. I don't listen to metal much, but those are 2 good names. And 'rays have a great sound for anything.

18. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    My previous post was offered as a biased opinion.

Whats really frightening is that I am beginning to agree with Bruce Linfield's opinion of gear posts. Its completely subjective. Ones mans Stingray is anothers Jay Turser.

Fat Johnny the answer is Jazz Stingray Both None

You are asking biased people. Try both and keep in mind the criticisms (?) of BOTH basses. Use your amp if you can. Pick the one that suits you and tell everyone else to play on the Interstate including me. Happy hunting and hope you are not more confused than when you started.

19. I bought my Stingray5 just a week ago, partly based on the discussions in this forum, so thanks for all the valuable information - you've made me a poorer and happier man ;)

I found that for some of my riffs, I missed some lower notes than the E, most notably the D. Furthermore, I wanted to play my riffs higher up on the neck to get some more boom.

Like some of you I tend to skip the B-string instead of using it where applicable. Perhaps this is due to the fact that my ear is not used to hearing such low notes. The riffs I play most often are from the E and up. It has helped me a lot to sing the tones on the B-string in unison one or two octaves higher while playing (Richard Bona does this all the time, while practising).

Also, I really recommend Steve Bailey's "Five String Bass" (1991) from his Bass Guitar Series, because it takes you through various exercises all designed to make you take the B-string into possession.

All the best,

Terkel

20. XavidmanX

XavidmanX

Jun 29, 2006
    Bakersfield, CA
    The Stingray 5 HH plays circles around any Fender I have ever played. THe only Fender that comes close is a Custom Classic that I now own. I sold the Stingray like an idiot but am fortunately buying it back and never letting go. That thing has so many sounds and the slap tone is to die for. I don't care about the tight spacing or the neck pickup getting in the way. I will deal with it to get that sound. I have only owned MTD's and Roscoes so it should tell you something about that bass that I want to keep it with my MTD's and Roscoes above anything else.