Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stingray 5 vs. Fender roscoe beck sign

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Squice, Nov 4, 2003.

1. I now they are completely different beasts.
    But i´m looking for a new bass. don´t have much money so the bass that i get has to be able do pretty much all. I play all kind of music, i have just played 4 string and am going to get 5 string. I have tried the roscoe beck for one gig and i found very easy play, very easy to go from 4 to 5 str.. but then i saw this stingray 5, but haven´t been able to try it out,, So how do they compare? they are both used and the stingray is nearly twice as expensive. I really liked all the sound options on the roscoe beck and now that the str isn´t going get all those sounds. but how do they compare quality wise? wich has better slaptone? the stingray has maple fingerboard....

I hope u can help me a little out..

2. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    You're going to be durn good with either one. People like Tony Levin have proven you can get almost any sound out of a Stingray - but the Beck is incredibly flexible too. The ones i've played, the fit and finish were about the same, although EB is a little more of a family than Fender is, i've heard.

If it were me, i'd go for the Fender RB, just because I dig passive basses and having a good jazz sound is a nice thing to have as a bassist.

3. I really leaning to the RB, specially becouse the price differency is so much.. But other hand, the stringray is looking fantastic. Natural finish, maple fingerboard. But the RB has this ugly seagreen color wich isn´t very appealing.. :)
    I haven´t had the chance to try out the stingray and don´t now how it really sounds. I´m more into the jass bass sound. But really want to have flexibility, want to be able to get punchy aggressive sound but also smooth warm sound..

So i guess i just have to try out that stingray.. But it´s only 4 hours drive to check it out.. :(

4. vanselus ain´t u hot for trading your sadowsky V5 for my Ashdown 500RC EVO? :)

5. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    umm... let me think. no.

:D

Actually, I have a newfound respect for Ashdown after playing DW's RPM-1. Nice preamp!

6. Nice try though.. :)

I´ve been dying to get a sadowsky for too long, But unlucky me, sadowsky basses are never seen in any music stores here, and impossible to try out..