Stingray 5 vs G&L L2500

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MacheteJames, Oct 11, 2004.

1. I'm looking to get a new 5 string, and I've got the opportunity to get either one of these basses. How do they compare? I did a search and from what I've gathered, the G&L can pull off all of the same tones as the Stingray 5, but not vice-versa. I've seen and played a few G&Ls and person and they are very nice, and I was most impressed.. however, the Stingray 5 is a legend of a bass, so I'm torn. I'm looking for something that will put out a thick, midrange-focused rock tone above all else. I think both of these are probably capable of this, but I want to hear everyone's thoughts on these basses.
  2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Personally, I don't think that a G&L is very good at imitating Stingray tones. G&L's have much more of Fender vibe IMO. I think that the L-2500 is a more versatile instrument than a Stingray V, but Singray V's have a distinctive personality that is also useful in many different settings. Just get what you like; you cannot go wrong between these two latter day Fender designed basses.
  3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    There is no other bass that can get a Stingray sound, I don't care how many people claim it. Stingrays are their own beast, and are highly regarded for its signature sound.

The L-2500 has more different tones, but it cannot get the Stingray tone.
  4. Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I agree - I cannot get a good Stingray tone out of my (Tribute) L-2500. You can get reasonably close P or J tones and a variety of others as well though. It has it's own distinctive tone, that to me is very aggressive - growly, heavy and clear. BP Magazine called it "woofy" and I think that is a very accurate description. I'm sure the US version would sound as good or better...

If you want that Stingray tone, go for it. It has a unique sound very well suited for rock (not real mid-heavy though). I'm interested in the new Bongos - although to me they look very strange, I bet you can get the Stingray tone and a whole lot more...
  5. Wasabi1264

Oct 3, 2004
    I had a L2500 for one night, and realized it had a bad buzzing sound when in series mode. Has this been corrected? On the positive side, it sounded HUGE. I do have a StingRay 5, which I absolutely love. People always call it a "rock" bass, but whatever style I play, it seems to fit perfectly in the mix. Very punchy, with a nice roar when you really dig in.