Stingray 5 vs G&L L2500

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MacheteJames, Oct 11, 2004.

1. I'm looking to get a new 5 string, and I've got the opportunity to get either one of these basses. How do they compare? I did a search and from what I've gathered, the G&L can pull off all of the same tones as the Stingray 5, but not vice-versa. I've seen and played a few G&Ls and person and they are very nice, and I was most impressed.. however, the Stingray 5 is a legend of a bass, so I'm torn. I'm looking for something that will put out a thick, midrange-focused rock tone above all else. I think both of these are probably capable of this, but I want to hear everyone's thoughts on these basses.

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Personally, I don't think that a G&L is very good at imitating Stingray tones. G&L's have much more of Fender vibe IMO. I think that the L-2500 is a more versatile instrument than a Stingray V, but Singray V's have a distinctive personality that is also useful in many different settings. Just get what you like; you cannot go wrong between these two latter day Fender designed basses.

3. get a fretless Stingray 5 :p

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    There is no other bass that can get a Stingray sound, I don't care how many people claim it. Stingrays are their own beast, and are highly regarded for its signature sound.

The L-2500 has more different tones, but it cannot get the Stingray tone.

5. Alexander

Alexander Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I agree - I cannot get a good Stingray tone out of my (Tribute) L-2500. You can get reasonably close P or J tones and a variety of others as well though. It has it's own distinctive tone, that to me is very aggressive - growly, heavy and clear. BP Magazine called it "woofy" and I think that is a very accurate description. I'm sure the US version would sound as good or better...

If you want that Stingray tone, go for it. It has a unique sound very well suited for rock (not real mid-heavy though). I'm interested in the new Bongos - although to me they look very strange, I bet you can get the Stingray tone and a whole lot more...

6. Wasabi1264

Wasabi1264

Oct 3, 2004
    President: MusicDojo.com
    I had a L2500 for one night, and realized it had a bad buzzing sound when in series mode. Has this been corrected? On the positive side, it sounded HUGE. I do have a StingRay 5, which I absolutely love. People always call it a "rock" bass, but whatever style I play, it seems to fit perfectly in the mix. Very punchy, with a nice roar when you really dig in.