Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stingray 5 vs. Ibanez BTB1005

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by quest4bass, Aug 3, 2004.

1. Stingray 5

81.5%
  2. Ibanez BTB1005

18.5%
  1. Hi, I'm interested in upgrading and buying a new bass. After much research I've narrowed down my choices to either the Ibanez BTB1005 or the Stingray 5. I'm not sure as to how these two basses compare up to each other. I like the BTB's 18V electronics (more headroom) and 35' scale. But I love the stingray's looks and 3-way flipswitch.
    Anyway, I'm still pretty much undecided. Can anyone help me? :confused:

2. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    I have never heard anyone complain about a Stingray's lack of headroom.

3. A Stingray 5's reputation speaks for itself, but I've played a few Ibanez BTB1005s, and they are nothing short of excellent. ;)

The Ibanez may be a little more versatile. I also love the feel of the Ibanez' neck.

Good luck in your decision.

Mike

4. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I agree w/ Micheals post... I voted for the BTB, because the question was "Which of these two is the best all-around bass? " To me, that's a quesiton about versatility...

If it were my money,,, I'd get an SR5...

5. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
    The Ibanez will be much more versatile than the Musicman, and the Musicman weighs a TON.The 18 volt preamps are incredible and the 35 inch scale makes for a better B.

6. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    I voted BTB because I love those basses. In fact I have the 1006e on order. That said, the 'Ray is a very different beast IMO. It should be brighter and growlier, whereas the Bart-equipped BTB will probably be smoother, rounder and maybe bassier. The latter is more my sound, though I do love playing Stingrays whenever possible. I would echo that the BTB would be a bit more versatile as well.

-Aram

7. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    Stingray 5 will get it all done.

tk

8. doublemuff216

doublemuff216

Jun 14, 2004
    Astoria NY
    although i love the btb with the barts, i voted stingray...its a classic...the reputation speaks for itself...i have never been able to complain about a musicman...the bass weighs a bloody ton...i love that in a bass...just get a comfy strap

9. Just play the the Ibanez before you buy. I can't stand Ibanez for some reason, just something about them doesn't feel right to me. I'm not a fan of Musicman either, but I saw this guy playing one in a little funk-type treo last night and it sounded awesome. The guy was all over it, from playing a lot of low B bassline stuff to soloing at the upper end of the neck and the thing sounded GREAT. Of the two I would go for the musicman, but it is true that it's a little more one sided than the Ibanez. Good luck with your decision though.

10. i had a similar debate between a sterling and a BTB1000e. i ended up getting my hands on a peavey cirrus BXP (peavey is my employer). i still don't know which i'd prefer between a sterling and a btb -- i still haven't played them with intentions of buying.

robb.

11. As far as sound goes, I'm sure the 18V preamp on the BTB can get you pretty much any sound you want, but is it more of a vintage style sound? Because as far as I've heard, the BTB is a "vintage-feel" bass developed for Bass players who are looking for that sort of vintage style but with some modern edge. Personally I'm not a huge "vintage-man" myself.
    Does anybody know what gives on that issue of the pole piece not aligning correctly under the G string on some Stingrays? Is that a usual thing? does it affect the volume of the G string?

12. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Did you read about the new BTB3000?

13. BTB3000? no, actually I haven't heard about it. What specs does that one have?

14. Squidfinger

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA

Click on "Home" and scroll down. There's a story about it.

15. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Poll says it all.

16. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Just a quick correction, BTB300 series, not 3000

17. Squidfinger

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Oops!

18. Eldermike

Eldermike

Jul 27, 2004
    NC
    Stingray. I have two, one with frets, one without.

19. Right, the BTB300 series. For a minute there I thought the 3000 series was a new one. Ha ha ha
    Personally, I like the versatility a 3-band EQ gives you. I' not to fond of 2-band EQs since I'm a huge fan of mid frequencies