1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stingray 5 vs L-2500

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fair Warning, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods! Supporting Member

Has anyone played both or maybe owns both? I have a USA L-2500 G&L now, and wanting to hear about differences in the neck for the 5 string. I got a chance to play a Stingray 5 HH briefly and might possibly flip the G&L for the MM...

2. I never really like the Stingray 5 unless it has flats on it so I went with the L2500.

3. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    AFAIK, based soley on hearing them demoed and peoples reviews (and the pickups & other hardware)...... It's apples and oranges. Two active 5 string basses? check.

Different pickups, different preamps, different tones. I've heard the L2500 is much more flexible... I.e. it can sound a few different ways... while a Ray is a Ray is a Ray :smug: OK maybe not, but you get the Idea. I won't know till I try em. I'm GASsin' bad for the L2500... but not the tribute... A blueburst or... or... I want a fretted, and a fretless and a (kid in a candy store impression)... http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/USA/basses/L2500/index.asp

L2500_Fretless_3TS_EB.

I need to go lie down for a bit...

4. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    I've had both, I still have the Stingray SR5 H, sold the G&L 2500 and don't regret it. It's true the G&L has a lot of tones but 90% of the time I ended up using the passive setting because the others just didn't sound good in a mix. The Ray on the other hand has tons of usable tones. My preference in single H Stingrays is the 2 band preamp. With a HH Ray I like the 3 band preamp the best.

5. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    See! they are different basses! I knew it! :bag:

Yeah I've heard some find most of the G&L's options too much... or is that too little. I know they're not to everyone's taste. I like em. I might love or hate them if I pick one up & see...

6. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods! Supporting Member

I've been thinking the same thing. I have also been playing a MIM Fender, which I prefer the tone vs the G&L. And you guest it, I find myself using the L-2500 in passive mode using the neck pickup only to try to get that classic Fenderistic tone, when I need it. All the active functions seem to just increase treble and twang.

I love the neck and the close string spacing on the G&L. I believe the Ray5 is similar.....just starting my research here, followed by searching out and/or proposing a trade for a black on black Stingray.

Oh by the way, my L-2500 is a Blueburst/Rosewood '98 ish

7. onda'bass

onda'bass Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Buffalo Ny
    take/keep the ray....

8. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I owned both at the same time; an L2500 and a SR5HH, so both were dual humbuckers, both ash bodies and rosewood boards. I found the SR5 to be a more comfortable bass to both wear and play, preferred the neck profile more. Back then the G&L pickups did not split to single coils, don't know if thats still the case with G&L. But I foud the SR5HH to have more available tones and capable of a warmer sound.

9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    L-2500s strike me as an aggressive take on the dual soapbar sound. For example my Rebop reminds me a bit of my old Tribute L-2500. HH Stingrays sound like Stingrays. Between the two, I would take the Stingray.

10. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Kind of like saying..."should I keep the hot blonde or the hot redhead?"=)
    ...but I say L2500.

11. I looove my L-2500 Tribute! The sounds you get are great! Huge sound and it sits really good in the mix using it in active mode. You can get a lot of useful sounds.

Compared to a Stingray 5...I don't own one, I've just demo'd a bunch of them, and I'll have to say the neck is soooooooo comfy! the g&l's neck is rather chunky. As far as tones go, you can kinda get the stingray sound out of the L-2500, I suppose you could get similar sounds with the dual humbucker stingray as well.

As far as looks, I love Stingrays!

Oldschool94 likes this.
  12. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Oct 9, 2011
    Singapore
    Different sound, the g&l didn't even sound as aggressive as stingray

13. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    To shed a little more light on the subject. I loved the look and playability and quality of the G&L. In passive mode it really rocked. In active mode I had to always remember to reset all my amps due to the excessively hot pickups on the G&L, otherwise it would clip every amp I own. I had the blue burst with maple fb and it was beautiful.
    One day I was messing around with different used basses at a local GC and tried a 5 string 3 band Egyptian Smoke Ray and fell in love with the look and feel. The tone wasn't as nice as my 4 string 2 band preEB Stingray but it was as good as the G&L. So I put it on hold, went home and picked up my 2500 and ran back to GC for a trade. I had to add a little bit of cash but it was well worth it. I haven't looked back since.
    I can say I owned a G&L, it was very nice but I don't think I'll be buying another one. On the flip side, I'm always looking at and trying different Stingray variants (i.e. MM SUB5, Sterling, SLO, Classic...) they all sound different and great and I'm sure I'll buy at least one more MM product before it's all over.