Stingray 5 Vs lakeland 5502

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pools, Jun 16, 2004.

1. pools

Feb 28, 2004
    What do you think?
  2. hanawayl

Feb 19, 2004
    Hi, you might want to check out my Lakland v. Musicman cd on ebay. They seem to be pretty helpful for people in your situation. Also, if you want, you can check out some reviews at the dudepit (Lakland forum) to see the response from some of the people that have picked one up. You can get some great input here but it's really helpful to hear the basses back to back. Both are great but each one does certain things better than the other so it depends on what you are looking for.
  3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I purchased that CD a few weeks ago. Great way to compare these two models, as well as the sounds of other various Lakland models. Worth every penny, IMO.

I wish there were other discs comparing other basses in such a fashion. In a world where certain basses are only available via mail order to many of us, its great to check out the sound of basses BEFORE the purchase. Nice.
  4. The Lakland is more versatile, more different sounds, and has a great B-string.
    The Stingray 5 on the other hand sounds fatter, particularly the D and G strings, probably because of its 34" scale. The Stingray also has a different feel, because of its broader neck and 34" scale.
    And for the record: The 55-94 really is a much better bass than the Korean 55-02. I owned both, and while the 55-02 is a good bass for its price, the 55-94 really is the better one. I recommend a used 55-94, shouldn't be too hard to find.

5. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA

55-94 is also 34 scale. I agree though that the 55-94 is the better one.
  6. All Lakland 5-strings are 35" scale. Quote from the Lakland site:

"Lakland 5-String Basses feature a B-string that is tight, well defined and feels like a natural extension of the instrument - accomplished by combining a 35" scale with the solid anchoring of the string through the body design. The necks on Lakland’s 55 series basses are slightly narrower than other 5-strings, making them as accessible as they are tonally sound. All Lakland 5-strings are 35" scale with fingerboards available in birdseye maple, rosewood or ebony."

7. sound is the thing that most people think of first when looking at these two instruments.

however I highly suggest that you try to play them first because they are very different in how they play. the Stringray has much narrower string spacing compared to the lakland. the fretwire on lakland basses is also more vintage style (small/narrow frets) comparted to larger frets on the new stingrays. I think if you are able to play each you will be able to find what you like best.

I like the 55-02 better because of the wide string spacing, I find that SR5's get a little cramped when I am trying to slap.
  8. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    If you slap and need the space...Lakland. If you're fingerstyle and like a extremely fast neck...Stingray5. BTW...the stingray's neck has a thinner profile and is also 2.75" at the 22nd fret whereas the Lakland is 3.30" at the last fret. Both great basses IMO. I'd take the SR5 though ;)
  9. I've owned both and they are apples and oranges. The SR5 is a 34" scale with 3 great basic sounds, PU in series (rock), PU single (traditional) and PU parallel (slap). You combine these with your 3 band EQ and you can get just about any sound you want. The 5502 I had was 35" and could do PU parallel and single but no series but, you had the added single coil at the neck position. Mine was an older model with Barts. I think the newer ones have Lakland's own PU's. The 5502 has a more refined tone than the SR5 but the SR5 just has more BALLS for lack of a better word. I sold the 5502 because the 35" neck made my wrist hurt after a 3 - 4 hr gig. I've bought a sold a bunch of basses over the years. The 5502 is one that I wish I had kept because it does have a beautifully refined tone. A bass I have now along with the SR5 is an Ibanez ATK-5. It has a lot of the tones and features of both for a lot less money.
    murphy likes this.
  10. murphy

murphy Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I switched back to Stingray 5vers because the feel of 35in scale was just not the same
  11. Dluxe

Jan 9, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Zombie thread revived! Nearly 11 years. Wow!!
  12. chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    That's why I never use the search facility.

But while it's awake. . . . . I've owned both. . . . I like Stingray 5's but prefer Lakland 5's.

Sold the Stingray and kept the Lakland.
  13. basslifter

basslifter Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Cincinnati, OH
    Good topics never die
  14. No kidding!

I work at a local music store and we just took in a used Stingray 5 20th Anniversary... I own and regularly gig a Korean built Lakland 5502 but this Stingray has me absolutely smitten. Way more aggressive than the Lakland which can be a good or bad thing. The Stingray weighs in at 10.8lbs while my 55-02 is 9.8lbs. String spacing is the most noticeable difference but I'm actually growing to like the tighter spacing. B-string on the Lakland is better IMO but the 'Ray is no slouch... I'm at a total loss as to which one I like better. GAS is an absolute killer...