Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

stingray 5 vs. lakland 55-02

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by worldwidepants, Jan 14, 2002.

1. I'm just asking for comparisons- not if one is "better". So throw some opinions at me. Include it all- tone, feel, b-string growl, the ability to cut through a mix, etc...

thanks

2. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    Here's my take having owned both at the same exact time(I will assume the 55-02 is very similiar in sound as my 55-94):

Lakland 55-94-

amazing playability, best neck of the two, better looking bass, and much lighter. The pickups IMO where too refined and hollow sounding for my taste, not too much growl....

MM Stingray 5-

amazing tone, good playability, I changed the pickguard, but the bass was still hideous to me, and the bass was too heavy. The pickup in this bass is amazing, but there was little to no flexibility in the sound. The signature Stingray sound remained regardless of settings. Also, it was a tad difficult adjusting to the 34" scale length, although the Stingray's B was ALMOST as good as the Laklands!!!

Both basses are great!!

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'd say the Lakland 55-02 is better than the Stingray 5.