Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stingray 5 vs. MIA Jazz 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cantstandsya, May 10, 2002.

1. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    I have an opportunity to trade my 2001 MIA Jazz 5 (sunburst) for a 2001 Stingray Five(Black w/ Maple neck.I love my Jazz but the passive electronics seem to fall a bit short of my other bass which is a Warmoth Deluxe Jazz 5 with a EMG 40CS w/18v preamp. Good tone for low volumes and recording but the B string in particular gets very muddy at high volumes.I've thought of getting the J-retro formy jazz, but mabye swapping for the Stingray 5 would be a less expensive option.Does anyone know of any tonal difference between the Rosewood neck and Maple neck or stained wood and painted wood.I've heard good things about the Stingrays.I'm just skeptical cause my jazz is just one of the most beautiful basses i've ever seen.Am I better off saving up for the J-Retro or should I get the Stingray?Opinions?

2. it depends on what you're looking for ultimately. if the B string is the only problem then get the Stingray 5. It has to have the best B string i've ever felt or heard on a bass with a 34" scale. sonically speaking, the Stingray 5 is probably the best choice out of the basses you mentioned for pure punch and cut. i personally feel that a stingray 5 doesn't emulate that taut, throaty tone that a Jazz Bass can get when the bridge pickup is soloed at all, so if that's something you like about your Jazz, consider getting the J Retro...

3. drewie

drewie

Jan 20, 2002
    Cardiff, Wales, UK
    I have a maple StingRay 5 like the one you mention in your post. I have owned both rosewood and maple necked StingRay 5's and I prefer the maple necks. To my ears they are slightly sweeter and brighter than the rosewood necks, though both sound killer. Definitely try both the MIA Jazz 5and the StingRay 5 out - I think you'll work it out for yourself!;)