1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stingray 5 - Your strings experiences

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Stride000, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Stride000

Stride000

Mar 15, 2006
    Hey there,

Just wanted to know what were your best results with strings on a SR5.

Personaly, I liked the EB slinkys, hated the GHS boomers and not sure about the DR high beams.

I like a fat sound with rich bottom and punch. No harsh highs or mids.

What about you guys?

2. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I love high beams as an all around string, and also like slinkys and sadowsky nickels for rock (not as good for funk for me).

3. After trying lots and lots of stuff, my favorites are DR High Beams and D'Addario Chrome flats. Both of these take a week or so to settle in.

4. I have tried:
    Roto-sound
    DR High Beams
    and currently use Ernie Ball Regular Slinkies.

I like the EB strings so far - but it is not a fair comparison because when I decided to go with the EB's I also decided to go with a lighter gauge. So I went from 145's - 50's down to 130 - 45's - which really made a difference. I like the lighter gauge.

5. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Oh, well...
    My favorites (by far) are GHS Boomers, 45-130.

6. DR Lo-Riders are a favorite on my SR5. I just tried Mike Lull Stainless steels 45-128 and I like that they have a tad more string tension and they're not quite as bright as the DR's. Also they tighten up the B and help keep the G string from sliding off the fretboard when I get a little excited!! FWIW Dean Markley makes the Lulls

7. BTW the latest set of High Beams I have put on have a .130 B string (I hadn't seem these before). I like the thicker B.

8. NegatroN

NegatroN

Mar 22, 2006
    Germany
    I tried the following stainless steel:

Warwick Black Label
    Warwick EMP
    GHS Boomers
    Rotosound RS

and then the Ernie Ball Power Slinky (Nickel) and I stuck to those. Normally I like the sound of the steel strings better but the EB just sound perfect on a MusicMan.

9. Stride000

Stride000

Mar 15, 2006
    Just put a set of prosteels (45-130) last night. Realized even more right away that the B from the high beams i had was more hollow sounding wich i don't like.

As mentionned by other tb'ers, they are quite rough on the fingers, not to the point of hurting but in the sense that you feel the rub more than with other strings. I'm not quite certain if I like the sound or not so it probably means that they're not what i'm looking for and will try and find some lo-riders.

10. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Just a correction: I believe Boomers are nickel over steel.

11. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    Normally I don't like the EB Slinky's but they really work on the SR5. I tried several others and usually go back to them. I think I have D'addario XL's on it at the moment and I like them a lot too, but I think they have a little more mid punch and might not be to your liking.

12. NegatroN

NegatroN

Mar 22, 2006
    Germany
    Of course you're right, they're nickel plated steel strings.

13. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    I just put on some regular gauge fodera diamond series strings... stainless steel. I have them on my other bass, and they have piano like clarity. I'm hoping with the MM pickup, they'll be beautiful. Semi-gig tomorrow, so I'll see how they go.

14. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    Depending on my mood- Sadowsky Nickels or D'adarrio Chromes.

15. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Slap some EB regular slinkies on there.

16. Rhythmbug

Rhythmbug

Jan 22, 2006
    London UK
    I've tried -
    EB Slinkys
    DR Bootzillas
    Ken Smith Rockmasters
    Also have a set of MTD Custom with Taper core B (135) I'm trying out next.

The Bootzillas sounded amazing and lasted a damn long time.
    I recommend these to anyone looking for a rich colourful and spanky tone without the ear piercing high end. I will definately use these again. To me these are the perfect string for a stingray - brilliant crisp sparkling & meaty slap tone for months. But hey you would expect that with a picture of bootsy on the packet right?? If your looking for a subtle tone stay well away!

Rockmasters were balanced and good feeling string. Clear growly tone without being overbearing.

EB Slinkys, well everyone knows what they're like....I used them for years but now I can choose from a zillion brands on the internet I'd rather keep my options open.

17. +1. I string all my other basses with DR Low Riders but perfer (by a slight margin) the EB Slinky's on the SR5.