Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stingray 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LimpyBizkit397, Jun 1, 2001.

1. I played a Stingray 5 at a Guitar Center w/o an amp. To me it sounded reallt tinny and mettalic. Is it supposed to sound like that??? Also does Yamaha meake a good 5 string bass???

2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Re-evaluate while playing through amp/that was the strings and frets/yes.

3. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    My experience with GC is that their basses are set up so poorly that eveything sounded bad. I'd give that Stingray another chance.
    Doc

4. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    To me it sounded reallt tinny and mettalic. Is it supposed to sound like that???

Can it be that I have a friend for life here? :D I always feel like bashing the darn things every time someone mentions them, but I don't since there are so many fans of Musicman basses. I think it sounds tinny and metallic as well, and it's not worth its price. I actually hate the goddamn things. (Sorry for the rant)

Also does Yamaha meake a good 5 string bass???

Yes, several.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Oysterman ~

Just do what I do. Say "Stingrays suck, because they really blow." Although I say it about another brand not to be mentioned among Christians. I disagree about the Stingrays. They are indeed a "one-trick-pony," but they're the only game in town if that's your favorite trick. OK, enough cliches for now.

6. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Stingray 5's are great basses. Through a good rig with a proper setup and good strings, they shine. I've played a million gigs with a 'Ray 5 and can attest to its growl, bottom and strength.

7. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Stingrays have a great B for a 34" fiver, it's very tight and articulate. I like their sound too, though they aren't the most versatile thing around. I would consider buying one, except for the fact I think the asking price is way too high.

Right now, I'm in the market for a new 5-string. The top choices for me are the L-2500 or the NS5CR. Though I love the Spector sound, I'm leaning toward the G&L because there are more sounds to be had.

How's the B on the L-2500? Is it comparable to the Stingray 5? If so, I think I am already sold on the G&L. I've played a few Stingray 5's, but have never played the L-2500. I have a couple L-2000's, so I know what the sound would be like, just not the B.

8. Scott Cutrer

Scott Cutrer Guest

Aug 21, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    What timing. I took my Stingray 5 on a Latin?Jazz Combo Gig last night, and I was very happy with the Stinger's ability to cut through with that sweet funky tone. I have been a Jazz Bass player for years and have had just about every kinda ax out there from Stingrays to Modulus' to Pedulla ect. And I have decided that they all sound great!

It just depends on what tone you are after. I kept hearing Sade tunes on the smooth jazz station here in Richmond and kept hearing Tom Barney on the new Steely Dan disc and well as Tony Levin on a Jeff Golub CD I have, and I couldn't stand it anymore. I had to have a Stingray 5! I do think that the G&L will offer more tonal variations however! That is why my fretless is an ASAT(an L2000 in a Tele-Tux). But I too am curious about the B string being as tight as the Stingray. I almost traded this bass for a G&L last week, and I played it before I boxed it up, and the tone and bite of the B string made me change my mind. I really dig this bass. As far as it being tinty, it can be, but there is a three band EQ on it and the knob closest to the bridge is a bass boost. Give it a spin, I think you will hear a difference.

Just my .02
    scott

9. leftybassdog

leftybassdog Senior Supporting Member

To say a stingray5 sucks is to say I cant use a preamp ? I have two one maple and one rosewood, I also have a warwick corvette with basslines in it,and a carvin LB75 with EMGs in it, I do alot of gigs were the stingray wont work well but my other basses will ,the word sucks is not the point, its the sound you need for what you do !, you buy a bass for the sound and feel of what you need not who has one ! no bass will give you every sound, neck, frets,strings, pickup, eq, type of music,if you use a pick, slap, fingers size will change your sound ,every thing will give you a sound change, but sucks I dont think so, I will say not for me, but not sucks !!!!!!

10. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Why so angry? Who said they suck? I said I hated them, but never have I said that they suck. :p

11. leftybassdog

leftybassdog Senior Supporting Member

Oysterman
    Im not angry, just put the hook out on the topic

12. luther787

luther787

May 28, 2001
    queens new york
    I'VE OWNED A STINGRAY 5 FOR THE PAST YEAR AND THERES NO WAY POSSIBLE YOU COULD DETERMINE IT'S SOUND QUALITY PLAYING IT ASS NAKED WITHOUT A QUALITY AMP. JUST FOR KICKS I REPLACED THE ENTIRE SYSTEM WITH DUNCAN PICKUPS AND AS A RESULT IM ABLE TO ATTAIN DIFFERENT SOUNDS IN ADDITION TO THE ORIGINAL RAY SOUND. IN CLOSING, IT ALL DEPENDS ON WHAT KIND OF MUSIC YOU PLAY AND THE SOUND YOURE LOOKING FOR. FOR ME THE RAY CONTINUALLY KICKS A**!!

13. I've had two Ray 5's, and the preamp is so good, that I do not consider it to be a one trick pony. The thing that DID bug me, however, was my inability to get a fat sound on the G string. Both basses thinned out in the upper register, and adjusting pickup height made no difference. Now the G&L L2500 is a different story. The B is not quite as tight as a Ray, but it's acceptable. The upper register rocks! Put a set of D'Addario Prisms on an L2500, and you've got a great all-round bass.

14. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Interesting observations, Marty. I recently sold an L2500 and kept a 'Ray 5 because the G&L felt "clunky" and just didn't have the vibe of the EB. Granted, the G&L offered more versatility of tone but I just couldn't warm up to the thing. Nothing really tangible, I guess, just a general lack of feel for me. The 'Ray 5, on the other hand, just feels "right" and lets me get down to the groovin', which is what I mainly care about. As with most of these debates, they really boil down to personal preference once you get past a certain quality level.

15. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    I've played a few Ray 5s at GC as well, and unplugged they did sound small and metallic. But once I played them amplified they came to life, had so much more bass and the metallic sound was gone. I boil this down to one thing, a good preamp. I would say great, but it lacked the versatility of other basses I've played, which I guess is a combination of a "good not great" preamp, and a single pickup. Like you guys have said before, it's all opinion.

Sure did feel good though.