Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stingray 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lo-end, Jul 20, 2001.

1. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    I am saving up for a Musicman Stingray 5 as I have a big case of GAS for this bass. Does anyone own this bass and have anything to say about it or have any advice for me before I buy it? (maple/rosewood neck, optional piezo pickups) Any input you guys have would be a big help for me.

2. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Hello lowend,
    I have a Stingray 4 and five. I used to play the 4 a lot more than the five, but now play them equally. I am more and more impressed with the fiver. I mostly play it at the parallel setting but use the others too. My four is piezo and I love it. I'm happy with the humbucker on the fiver though. They are both fretless, as it suits the tone I like. You didn't say if you were shopping new or used. There are quite a few on the used market, and you should definitely check used. A mint used can go as low as about $800. Check out bassgear.com classifieds and harmonycentral.com classifieds. If you get a Stingray 5 let us know what you think.
    Doc

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I've had a 'Ray five for a couple of years now and gigged it a lot. I love the bass, it plays like a dream and I dig the sound a lot. Mine does not have the piezo but is a custom model made for an Ernie Ball employee and has no pickguard. I have the rosewood fretboard. I also have a '97 Stingray. I don't think you can beat these instruments IF you want the sound they give you. They really excell at what they do but they're definitely not for everyone.

4. Gman

Gman

Jan 4, 2000
    Indianapolis, IN
    I own one, but I can't tell you much about it yet...... I don't have it !!!

I telephoned Mr. Beaver Felton this morning and ordered my brand new SR-5 in transparent orange with matching headstock and white pearloid pick guard !!!! YIPEEEEEEEE !!!! I know...your saying, "Orange...YUK!!". But it really is a sight to behold.

I wanted a rosewood fretboard, just because I think it looks better with the color, but I don't want to wait 6 or 8 months for it. Bass Central really has a good selection. I got a great deal too.

Dave

5. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Bass Central does indeed have a great selection and good prices. But Riksmusic.com in Tennessee is even better.

6. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    yeah I tried it already. I goto guitar center to play it pretty much every week (until all 3 of their ray5s were moved out of the store.) I love the modern sound and feel of this bass it is DEFINATELY the bass for me. It even fits my personality too, lol. IMO there is not a better bass. I dont even like warwick thumb 5s, streamer, corvette, and the peavey cirrus as much as this bass! I can wait till I have enough cash to buy it.

7. Check this out, the other day at guitar center I got a used Stingray 5 string for $300!!!!! It was used but in mint condition. I got a great deal, too bad it's a five string though, I wish it was 4, but it was so cheap i had to take it.

8. Gman

Gman

Jan 4, 2000
    Indianapolis, IN
    :confused:

My guitar center has a used Stingray 4, that is also mint, without case, and they want $800 for it. A used SR-5 is a pretty hot commodity.

Something isn't right here. Are you sure it wasn't one of those Samick copies ? :D

Dave

9. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Hey RicBass,
    If you truly got an EB MM Stingray 5 for $300, congrats, you got the deal of the century. Now if you really wanted a four, you need to sell it to lo-end for $600 and double your money, and everyone is a winner!! :)
    Doc

10. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Right. Of course you did.

11. neptune

neptune

Feb 2, 2001
    Maryland
    I'd recommend getting the piezo option. It adds lots to the versatility of the "One Trick Pony" Stingray, and the blend control really comes in handy for tonal variation and live EQ.

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Welcome to Talkbass, RicBass4003.:)

That's almost as good of a deal as the Fodera Anthony Jackson 6 string that I found at a pawnshop today for $250.

I expect to get at least $3500 on the used market for it.;)

13. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden

Awwww... You just had to say it, didn't you? I have to go take a nap now... *sigh*

14. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    all these great deals.... man.. i wish I weren't so gullable. anyway.. I got the SR5 2 weeks ago w/out the piezo pickups... I just didn't want them. Especially on the stingray 5 or the sterling 4 b/c they have the 3-way switch selector. If you want a piezo sound, through in the addition.. but I didn't get it. My Stingray is pearl blue with black perloid pickguard (its very beautiful :) ) I have a maple fretboard... I like the way the maple sounds on my stingray... it looks good tooo :)

15. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Hi Gman,

You know, I saw the orange MM on-line, and
    my reaction was like you said "Yuck"

But when I saw one in person, it was actually
    striking at first --- and then as I noodled on
    it, it began to grow on me. By the time I left,
    I was thinking if/when i get a Ray, I just might
    get a funky 'saftey orange' one. looks really
    nice w/ the white pearloid. congrats on
    your new number.

16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yep. I agree with you guys.

The transparent orange Ray with a white pearloid pickguard just looks killer. I was torn between that and the transparent blue with a black pearloid pickguard until I found my Pedulla.

17. Gman

Gman

Jan 4, 2000
    Indianapolis, IN
    Thanks guys.

I Can't wait til it gets here. Should be Thursday.

My digital camera is on loan right now, but I'll posts some pics ASAP.

Dave