Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

StingRay 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mz91, Apr 28, 2002.

1. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    Any Info...Any Pictures..I am Totally in love with this Bass....Anything....Let it all out....

2. drewie

drewie

Jan 20, 2002
    Cardiff, Wales, UK
    damn...i'm going to have to buy a black pearloid guard for my bass now...why did you have to pick that photo!:rolleyes:

3. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Info? Its a stingray!!! what else do you need to know? :). I love my ray 5. absolutely love it. It fits in with just about every type of music i can think of.. I play Rock, funk, jazz, R&B.. its fits it all..

Have you played on before??? they have big thick necks.. but I like the necks. Good Low B string, nice and tight. I don't have tons of experience with the piezo pickup.. I have played a few rays with them.. But i didn't really find that it added anything except $. Some people dig the Piezos and if you like them i say get them. But for what I do.. I just don't need them/want them

Peace,

:)

4. Harpo

Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    I Love my SR5 I play in a Blues Band and My Band
    mates live the sound and can not beleve the sounds I can get out of one pickup. The L-2000 sits home alot now .

5. It's a great bass. The B and E sound especially good. The string spacing is tight however (1.75'' at nut, 2.75'' at 22nd), which is great for pick play but SOME (not all) people find it taxing for fingerstyle and slap. I ADORE the Ray 4's however.

6. Harpo

Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    The Spacing is a little tight. But I was able to get used to it . Now when I play my L-2000 which has the same Basic neck as Stingray4 I have trouble with the wider spacing at first .

7. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Very similar to mine except I have trans purple. Here's a closeup of the body:

8. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    Nice Bass! i noticed you had one with the piezo bridge on it. What exactly is the improvement the piezo provides. and why does it need an extra knob? just curious... is your slapping limited on the stingray 5.

9. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I've had one for about 2 years and I totally love this bass. Maybe I have big hands, but I don't think the neck is big at all. In fact one of the reasons I bought it is that the neck felt slimmer than the Pedulla rapture j2 or the Fender Roscoe Beck 5. Before I get flamed remember I did say felt:D . Also I don't get the one trick pony rap this bass has. I can get lots of different tones from it, from thick p-bass to smooth j or of course the growly MM sound. Anyway I just love this bass.

10. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    The piezo gives you a completely different tone than the mag p/u; more of a warm, acoustic sound but far less punchy. The extra knob is a pan pot that lets you roll toward either p/u or blend them. Slapping is great on a 'Ray 5. I personally love closer string spacing, makes the neck faster for me.

11. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Mine has the piezo's too and i love em. I like the spacing a lot too, and i'm used to a wider neck..

12. tjoTim

tjoTim

Apr 30, 2002
    Ohio, U.S.A
    I love the Stingray four. I've been using them for a long, long time and often tempted by the 5. Every time I try one though, the neck spacing and floppy B string put me off. Same for all the other 5's I've sampled, though that amounts to less than a half dozen different models. If I were going to force myself to use a five in a desperate attempt to acclimate to one, I'd choose the Stingray without any hesitation at all.

13. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I absolutely love the tone of the Ray '5. I would own one if not for the narrow string spacing. :(

14. drewie

drewie

Jan 20, 2002
    Cardiff, Wales, UK
    I never experience that problem with mine;)

15. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    I Want a stingray..... 4

:)