Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

StingRay a good choice for playing Blues?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by funkdaddy, Jun 27, 2004.

1. StingRays are known for being quite popular amongst Rock and R&B/Funk bassists, but I don't ever recall seeing a Blues bassist play one. Does anyone out there in TalkBass-land use a StingRay for playing Blues? And if so...do you think the "StingRay tone" works well for that style of music, or would a passive J-Bass or P-Bass be a better choice? (I'm primarily referring to Mississippi Delta and Chicago-style Blues, not Contemporary Blues.) Thanks in advance for your opinions/comments.

2. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
    Well after seeing and hearing so many different basses played on different styles it is hard to tell. I don't think a stingray would work great on that, but I am sure lots of bassists can amazingly groove with stingrays, playing blues.

Anyway first came to my mind Jack Cassadies and Rumblefishes. my 32,000 Turkish Liras.

3. Just keep the switch to the left, turn the treble control down, and you got a GREAT sounding bass for the blues!!

--joe

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Blues is in your heart and fingers, not in your bass... you can play the blues on any bass, IMO. Although you may look a bit silly playing a shuffle on a pointy B.C. Rich.

5. i think i might have to disagree with artisanbul on that (as subjective as this thread may be). I think a stingray would be great for blues. I guess it all has to do with what tone you are looking for, and what you would have to dial in on the bass and the amp, as far as eq settings. You will probably get a really good blues bass tone if you turn up the bass eq a tad and you should be fine. You can get a really good tommy shannon tone like that (think SRV's "pride and joy")

also, correct if i'm wrong, but doesn't shannon play an eb/mm right now? i last saw him on tv playing with john meyer and buddy guy w/double trouble, and he had a real nice tone going there...
    well, like i said, tone is pretty subjective, so what may sound bluesy to me, may sound different to you or artisanbul....

Charlie

6. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    A stingray with flats, great for blues.

7. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    *shrug* Why not? Blues is one of those universal things...if you've got the groove, then you can play the blues -- doesn't matter if it's a washtub 1 string or a Conklin 9 banger.

8. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Blues is in your sunglasses too.. You can't have the blues without some shades :cool:

9. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Been there, done that, got the TI Flats.

Blues on a Stingray is GREAT. String it with flats, turn the treble down, play through some tubes, use Ampeg cabs....yeah, it works.

10. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    I agree....
    but of all the basses I've played the blues on, the Fender Presicion and Rick Turner Ren have surpass the stingray in blues tone IMHO.

11. Kelu

Kelu

Dec 6, 2002
    Lille in France
    Iplay Chicago Blues with a Musicman Sterling,
    It really works..

12. Hey everybody...thanks for your responses. I realize that just about any bass can be used to play any style of music, because it's the "feel" that's most important. I was just wondering if a StingRay has an appropriate tone for blues. I might give the TI flats a try, and I'll keep the treble knob down (which I usually do anyway). Thanks again.