1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stingray ( Advice sought!)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Northern1001, Dec 24, 2016.

1. Northern1001

Northern1001

Sep 16, 2014
    I

About 18 months ago I purchased a brand new stingray classic, 4 string single pick up in "stealth black" it has by by far the best feel of any of my basses, & I love it.
    It arrived from Thomman on line music store in an unplayable condition & had to be professionally set up. ( but that's another story) my problem is that there is a significant loss of volume when hitting the D & G strings. I have adjusted pick up height, and removed pick up to see if I can reposition pole pieces ( but can't)
    Just wondered if anyone on here has had similar problems, or knows of a cure?
    As much as I love it the Stingray playability does seem to be affected by temperature changes also. ( it seems high maintenance compared to my Rick, my precision & my Sandberg!)

2. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Alrighty. I have a 2 band USA SUB (same 2 band, slab, pickup, pretty much a non-fancy classic ray).
    I had a bit of a missing G (and sometimes D) issue now and then. What I did and what you can check:

- make sure the setup is good, really good. I fine tuned my bass for almost 8 months.

- slant the pup so it's higher on the G string side

- push the pickup poles so they're even. I managed to do this by using some force (gently tapping them with a rubber head hammer because I couldn't push them with my fingers)

- strings. If you're using roundwounds - by far the best results I got tone and balance wise are super slinky (for standard tuning). Still use them, love em!

- if you can't "fix" the pup, I can recommend Aguilar AG 4M. That's what I use now and it's great, fantastic pre eb like tone, better string to string balance IME.

- eq, don't over scoop. Mids.

I use my SUB bass live and for recordings and it's now perfect. The neck is stable as heck though. Could be a bit more stable because it doesn't have the figuring like the classic does. Make sure the neck settles in nicely after a setup and a string change.

FingerDub likes this.
  3. A set of new strings?

4. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    I have owned several SR, never have an issue with the D or G string, make sure there is a gap around 5/32 or 4mm from the bottom of tge G string to the top of the pole, adjust the E string so you can have an even sound across strings.

And yes, SR are very sensitive to changes of weather. You will need to adjust the truss rod very often. Not a big deal with truss wheel, 1/8 of turn either is most of the times enough. Learn how to adjust the trus rod, in my experience, if you own a SR you must to know how to adjust the neck relief.

5. Alex J

Alex J

Jul 5, 2011
    UK
    I have a 79 Stingray, and with DR Hi-Beams on the G string was noticeably quieter than the other strings. Put Ernie Ball Super Slinkies on, and the problem disappeared! So I'd say strings can make a massive difference.

6. Northern1001

Northern1001

Sep 16, 2014
    Many thanks for taking the time to reply, I will try out your recommendations. Strings are pretty new Ernie ball slinky "cobalt" ( quite expensive).

7. Northern1001

Northern1001

Sep 16, 2014
    Hi.
    Thanks for replying, the SR does seem to be high maintenance compared to my other bases, but as its my favourite, and the one I feel most comfortable with I suppose I had better get used to its demands!

8. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    No problemo. I did all of those things (including a pup change) and only then did I try super slinky. It really felt and sounded best string balance wise. They originally come with those strings. Let me ask you, are your cobalts 45-100 or 45-105 by any chance? 45-105 did not work as well for me as 45-100 do. Noticeably more boom on lower 2 strings and kind of threw the balance out (which is why - super slinky 45-100 hells yes).

9. Northern1001

Northern1001

Sep 16, 2014
    Hi

I have just checked. They are 45 - 105. I don't change them too often, as my patience wears thin when setting things up again. Next time ill try the super slinky set.

10. Northern1001

Northern1001

Sep 16, 2014
    Hi

Many thanks for replying. ill try that. Another member has also made the same recommendation.

11. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    #1..........check the battery.

#2...............try different strings (ones that are heavy guage on the G and D end).

#3................keep in mind that the classic 'Rays are 7 something inch neck radius meaning that the D and A strings are gonna be farther away from the magnet poles than on the standard model. Thus effecting string volume.

#4...........make sure that the pickup has be adjusted so that the G magnet is closer to the string than the E magnet.

#5..........worst case senario...............get the standard model.

Gtz and bassomane like this.
  12. Northern1001

Northern1001

Sep 16, 2014
    Hi

Many thanks. Good advice I'm sure. Others have offered similar advice. I'll give it a go.