1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stingray advice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Barnz, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Barnz

Barnz

Oct 5, 2013
    Hi,
    I'm going to get myself a Stringray 5. I wondered if you guys had any advice - any years/models to avoid, best pup combination etc. Not sure whether to get the new one I tried and liked or spend half the money and get a used early 2000s model.
    Thanks

2. They have been consistently great since Ernie Ball took ownership so I would have no problem going used and saving a bunch of cash.

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  3. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I saved a bunch of cash, by switching to Geico...

... and putting one together.

IMAG1227.

IMAG1301.

IMAG1334.

I know, I know... not a real Stingray, but not $2K, either. With a nod to both Saga and EBMM, it will be a MB-10 Stinger, with the logo below incorporated in somewhere (somehow) on the headstock...
    Logo_1483124484613.

4. brocco

brocco

Feb 27, 2010
    You can buy nice used Sting Stingray & Kustom.JPG rays bought this 2001 a few years back for 900.00

Spidey2112 likes this.
  5. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I can only hope that the brick wall, directly behind your setup, was insured, before you played your first note...

two fingers likes this.
  6. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    They're all great.

One thing to keep in mind is whether or not you prefer the sound of ceramic pickups or alnico. From 1993-2007 the SR5 came with ceramic pickups. They're more aggressive than a typical Stingray loaded with alnico.

From 2008 onwards they switched to alnico as the new Sterling 5 had the ceramic pickups.

I believe they were alnico pre 93'

I strongly prefer the single H ceramic pickup models. Just a preference.

7. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Also the classic two band verses the newer three band EQ. I actually like the two band.

8. liverbird

liverbird

Mar 22, 2003
    Just to clarify for the OP: All Classic SR5s have the 2-band EQ, all 'regular' SR5s have the 3-band.

Another difference is the neck finish - Classic SR5 is lacquered, regular SR5 is oil/wax.

SR5s are great, solid, reliable basses with a distinctive, ballsy sound. Very good B-strings, too. Only downside (for me, anyway) is the weight - they can be fairly heavy.

9. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    This! &
    I got one recently, transparent blue ash body ebmm sr5 in mint condition (with the OHSC) + fender combo amp for $800 (used).