stingRay after three years....

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by only4him012, Dec 25, 2002.

1. only4him012

Nov 11, 2002
    this is a pretty new stingray that was in a case for three years after about three months of playing.
    every things is in mint condition but the neck has very slight bow....(toward the strings) i think this bow starts from around seventh fret.
    i know you can use the truss rod, but is it still the best way to go after hearing these conditions?
  2. Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    you should check out the setup forum for more info, but from the sounds of it, it's likely just fine the way it is. It is not uncommon to put a little relief(bow) in the neck to avoid the strings buzzing against the frets. If you really want to get of it the trussrod is what you want to adjust. just tighten it a little at a time, do a search in the setup forum for "truss rod" and I am sure you will find all the info you want and more. The only other option that comes to mind, but is really going farther then you need to go is to use lighter strings, but that really is extreme.
  3. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    If you are talking of back bow (middle of the neck coming up towards the strings) then you need to loosen the truss rod (turn it counter clockwise). As the bass stayed a lot of time in the case, I would just loosen the truss rod a quarter or a half turn and let the bass settle for one day before doing much adjustments.