1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stingray anachronisms in movies

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by carl-anton, Jan 20, 2004.

1. Hi guys!
    This is probally common knowledge, but I just spotted it. In Eastwoods Charlie Parker movie "Bird" there's a scene towards the end where Parker is watching Buster Franklins Rock'n Roll band, and the bassplayer in that band is playing a Stingray. Backstage there's a pretty good shot of the headstock, that cleared out my doubt. I mean, in a movie that's supposed to take place in a time, where the first p-bass hardly was invented, how did someone not notice the bassplayer was playing a bass from a future time - let alone why didn't the bassplayer himself notice (well, maybe he was an actor)
    And there's another anachronism in the Howard Stern movie "Private Parts". At a big outdoor concert in N.Y. taking place in the mid-eighties I think, AC/DC is playing and the bassplayer plays a 20th anniversary StingRay. As far as I know, that was issued in the mid-nineties. Is it only us, the basspeople who notices these things?

Well, I'm not really one of those film buffs finding faults everywhere, but these just where to obvious. :D

2. The answer is Yes. Only we(basslplayers) notice that kind of stuff. I saw a movie(can`t remember the name) that take place in the early 50´, and when the band is performing, the bass player has a Stingray and he`s slappin!!!!!!!:eek:

Mike

3. They probably got a deal from Ernie Ball or something to use the Stingray in their movie. Pretty funny stuff!