stingray and jazz flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by membranophone, Oct 5, 2003.

1. membranophone

Mar 19, 2000
    Madison, WI
    I, like a lot of other Stingray owners, think the preamp in my ray makes the highs WAAY too harsh. Up until now, I had been using roundwounds and turning the highs down to zero on the bass.

I'd also tried the Thomastik Jazz Flats in the past on other basses and found that although they were really bright for flats, they just didn't have enough highs. After trying those strings, I was pretty turned off by the idea of ever trying flats again.

Today I found that old set of thomastiks I'd saved and decided to give them a shot on the ray. They sound absolutely beautiful! To my ears, they sound better than any rounds I've tried on the ray. I have the high frequency control on the preamp turned up and it's staying there.

Coupled with the fact that these strings will last for years, I am in absolute bliss. If any of you have a problem with the highs on your ray, give the thoms a go; they might be just what that bass needs.
  2. Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Yup...I totally agree with you. I think it took about a month or 2 before the TI flats to break it to the wonderful sounds on my SR5!;)