Stingray and Weak G String- String Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by MobileHolmes, Nov 12, 2016.

1. MobileHolmes

MobileHolmes I used to be BassoP

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    I have had an older stingray for about a year, and played it with a guitar player for the first time last night (My J is usually my go to). I've heard complaints before about the G on stingrays being kind of weak, but it was really obvious last night. The other three strings were great, but anything on the G just kind of got lost. I'm wondering if a string swap might be in order here? It's got DR hi beams right now, same as my J, but the Stingray is just so much brighter sounding anyway, I'm wondering if some other strings might be better. I do still want some high end snap, so no flats.

2. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Jul 26, 2010
    Normanton, UK
    playing bass since 2005
    Higher gauge ?

MobileHolmes likes this.
  3. T Bassman

T Bassman

Dec 13, 2010
    Canada
    I have a 2007 Ray that I love, but have the same G string issue.

One solution I found was that by inadvertently changing my tuning to BEAD, the D string seems to be as even as the others now, as opposed to the weak G I had as well.

I'm not sure if it's a pickup flaw as far as the frequency range of the G string, but by dropping tuning it seems to be corrected, and the Ray really sounds killer in the drop tuning.

4. Since you're already using the DR Hi-Beams, you can try the SS Lo-Riders. As a general rule, hex-core strings tend to be punchier and "snappier" compared to their round-core counterparts.

MobileHolmes likes this.
  5. MobileHolmes

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    Cool. Thanks for the tip. I've been happy with DRs for a while, but not wedded to them or anything

6. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    I just posted about this in another thread...
    I have an 1996 4str StingRay 3-band, I bought new and played for years. It had the weak G string real bad...completely gone in the mix. After getting frustrated with nothing working, a year or so after I bought it I replaced the pickup and pre-amp with SD Basslines, I believe all that was available aftermarket back than. The problem all but disappeared, in addition, with flats the G is even more pronounced. I have since read that the primary culprit was the way the preamp being used was voiced. 2-banders as well as newer ones don't seem to have the issue?

7. MobileHolmes

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    Mine's a two band. Thanks for the tip. I'm hoping strings resolve the issue, but there seem to be a decent number of MM pickups out there these days should I go that route

8. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    I've got a 2 band (USA SUB) that had a bit of a problem with the G at times. I feel rays are more picky about setup, eq and strings than other basses, or at least, passive Fender style basses. I've switched the pup out for an Aguilar AG 4M, and it's more balanced, but since it's still very much a Stingray style pickup (a pre eb ray vibe IMO), and I haven't switched the original preamp - it was still a bit fussy until I perfected the pup height and found a good string pairing. I haven't tried flats yet, but I've been on nickel roundwounds - DR Lo Riders (45-105), D'Addario XL (45-105), Dunlop Super Brights (45-105) and now finally, tried out EB Super Slinky (45-100) because rays come set with those. I found the super slinkies to work much better balance wise, so I'd suggest trying those or at least a string set you like in 45-100 gauge. Also, a good setup, with slightly slanted pup towards the G string and well adjusted eq on your amp. Scooping usually results in lost G.

9. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    I bought a brand new SR4 Neptune blue a few years ago (in the box) and it was so beautiful.
    after a week or so, I started noticing something with the G string; at first, I thought there were dead spots because there was a drop in signal and decay was quick. I researched and I found out about this issue.
    it was most noticeable when I used IEM's at church-the g disappeared.
    reluctantly, I returned it.
    having said that, I have a friend who owns three SR4's and he doesn't have the problem.

PS-I have owned SR5's, sterlings and bongos and they never suffered from this.

G RICH 5 likes this.
  10. I have a SR 4 & 5
    The four-string is a1989 and the 5 is 1991. I started playing 5 string exclusivley and the 5 had a weak D and G. I now play the MIM J5 I got as a backup, the low end isn't as good on the J but it's good and the D and G are tons fatter and louder than the stingray

11. redhed

redhed

Oct 25, 2009
    IMG_1502.JPG I have 4 Rays and never had a problem with the G.

Jinglesmeowmeow and mouthmw like this.
  12. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007

Levin and Arthur U. Poon like this.
  13. PeaveyPlayer

PeaveyPlayer Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2014
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    I would try hex core 50-110

14. BobKos

BobKos Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2007
    This doesn't help the OP does it?

To the OP - There is a video on youtube that shows how to shift the pole piece in the pickup up to help alleviate this problem. I have never used it myself but it seems to be the best advice I've seen so far. Please ignore the forthcoming posts that will tell you your technique, strings, setup, etc are wrong and Stingrays are perfect.

15. osonu

osonu

Aug 5, 2013
    Las Vegas
    My '12 SR5 HH had weak enough sounding D and G strings that I adjusted the pickups quite a bit. I recently put a set of Sadowsky flats on it and both the D and G are very strong- actually, they are balanced now that I readjusted the pickups. They have a pretty nice tone so far, too, though I'm not sure they're really broken in yet. More clarity than LaBella Deep Talkers, but not zingy.

16. Greg Lukasik

Greg Lukasik

Jan 26, 2006
    Nbg, Germany
    The gauge itself will not make the string louder. Try some string (I would leave the EAD on and replace only the G) known for higher tension. They have thicker core and still same gauge, it may help. The iron core is what the pickup can "hear".

The other idea its to change the pickup. A friend of mine bought a 1978 Stingray. The E and G strings were not as loud as the A and D. He replaced the pickup with the Aguilar AG4M, which sounded a little smoother and the E-G are significantly better now.

best

17. leonard

leonard

Jul 31, 2001
    Yurop
    I adjusted the pickup on a weird angle on my 'Ray. It helps some. And often on less busy songs I play higher notes higher up the neck to get a more even sound. I use D'addario EXL170 45-100 strings. They have a bit more even response than some other sets that are 45-105. Anyway, the weak G is a flaw on an otherwise great bass design.

18. redhed

redhed

Oct 25, 2009
    I have had six StingRay's in my life, my point is I have never heard this problem.

MobileHolmes likes this.
  19. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Lovely collection!
    But! You need to add a 2 bander in there too ;)

Buzz E likes this.
  20. redhed

redhed

Oct 25, 2009
    I would love one! Unfortunately they are pretty rare left hand!

Jinglesmeowmeow and mouthmw like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021