Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

stingRay and.....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by only4him012, Dec 17, 2002.

1. only4him012

only4him012

Nov 11, 2002
    NJ
    what bass amp would be good sounding with StingRay? what do you guys think? what kind of sound would your choice would give me? i would prefer combo....I'm thinking about bassman 60 or kickback12 maybe?

and what does ohms do for the bass playing?

this will be my first bass amp....and i want a nice one...but i really don't know much about what sounds good....

2. I think you need tens to get the stingray sound. Bigger speakers will make it sound good, but to get that funny sound where it feels alive, you need smaller speakers (I've come to that conclusion, seeing as I've got the sound in stores with it through an ampeg head and various cabs withs tens, but can't at home with my ampeg pre and Carvin 15".

3. I like the sound my SR5 gets with a Hartke 4.5. One thing I have noticed lately is that tubes really bring out the very best in the SR5 sound.

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Hmmm. Lets see. You'll need an Avalon 737 preamp, two QSC PLX3002 power amps and four Ampeg 8x10 cabinets. Be sure to pick up as many ohms as you can, you can never have enough, especially when they go bad on you in the middle of a song. Be sure to tell the local salesman to fill a bag with them . . . ;)

5. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Gallien-Krueger amps sound really good with a Stingray.A reliable source tells me that Bob Gallien voiced the 700/1001RB preamp with a Stingray.

6. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    Nice going Eric...way to give the rookies a hot foot! I just played a Stingray through an Ampeg amp/cab rig (8x8's?) and it captured that clickey/thumpy sound you're probably looking for. Ohms are a measure of electricity(such as how much will be passing through the speakers). Most bass cabs(and home stereo speakers)are rated at 8 ohms, car stereo speakers are commonly rated at 4 ohms, and there are some stray oddballs rated at 2 out there somewhere(though I've never seen one!). Amps are rated at a certain ohmage as well, and it would behoove you to match the proper amp with the proper speaker. The funny thing about amplifiers is that some are flexible and rated at 2,4, and 8. For instance, an amp rated at 200 watts into 8 ohms, will double its power to 400 watts into a 4 ohm speaker, and 600 watts into a 2 ohm load. So theres math involved in matching them up.

7. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    Ever played a 'Ray through an old Mesa 2x15? Let's just say that you'd quickly become a one "thump" chump and need a new pair of pants... ;)

8. only4him012

only4him012

Nov 11, 2002
    NJ
    um....the thing is.... i just got this stingRay and i don't think i can spend money more than this bass again. so i am looking for little bit smaller than this bass deserves...like some combos like bassman for just home practice and some gigs.....any more suggestions?

9. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    A really great combo is the Ampeg B100R. I've got it's little brother, the B50R. They both have great tone and deliver all the midrange spank that my SR5 has.

10. true. aside from the obvious flea example, joe lally of fugazi uses GK and he has THE stingray sound.

11. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    Last I checked Joe Lally used an old SVT..did he switch to GK? His tone is THE stingray tone...Listening to the first album makes me love my Rays just that much more..

Tommy

12. he's had a GK (i think 800RB) and an 8x10 every time i've seen them live.

13. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    Man, they need to come back to Atlanta again...

As for the amp, to keep this post legit, I'd say an Ampeg BA150 or something in the Ampeg line would sound great for the 'ole Ray...Tens are definitely something to think about if you really want that punchy tone the bass can and will produce....

Thanks
    Tommy

14. pbassfreak

pbassfreak

May 2, 2001
    long beach
    I just got a ray recently..my rig is a svt 350h and classic 4 10 and it sounds incredible..it sounded good out of my 2x15 but i really think the 10's is the way to go

15. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I absolutely love the sound of my Stingray through my Ampeg B-100R. It's about $479 new, 100 very LOUD watts, and it even looks good.
    Where's Mike Jewels? He'll back me up on this one;)

16. benc

benc

Jan 29, 2002
    Houston, TX
    I recommend the Ampeg B-50R or B-100R as well. Cool blue tolex and great sound.

All practicality aside, this Music Man rig (below, if I can get this attachment thing to work) is yummy good.

17. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I also highly recommend the B-100R. It's an awesome amp, and my Stingray 5 sounds fabulous through it.

18. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I say steal this here persons beutiful SR5 with that AMAZING FINISH, and buy a real good amp. GK stuff sounds good with a stingray, and so does some ampeg stuff. I do belive i would get GK if i had the choice and owned a ray.

19. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Are you talking about THIS ?
    :oops: :D

[​IMG]

20. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    for awhile i played My Ray through a nemesis 210 combo amp.. 200 watt, 2x10 combo that is. It sounded pretty decent, it got the Job done... But i've sold both of them now.. you can get a Nemesis used for about $450 or so.. I think I sold mine for $425