Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stingray B string?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by count_funkula, Nov 5, 2002.

1. How is the B on a MM Stingray5? I need a "do-it-all" bass. I want something I can slap really well and get a good fingerstyle sound. It will be used in church so it needs to have a clear, punchy B, with a real quick response.

I'm sending my Lakland Skyline 55-01 back to Musicians Friend. It sounded and played great but the cosmetic imperfections got on my nerves.

2. "it will be used in church, so it needs to have a clear, punchy B".........that's odd, I thought ALL gigs required a clear, punchy B.

3. The B on the Stingray 5 is good - one of the most solid B's on a 34" scale bass.

I don't know if you are aware of this, but the string spacing on the SR5 will be considerably narrower compared to the Lakland. If you prefer the Lakland string spacing, why not get a 55-02?

4. The string spacing at the bridge of a SR5 is 11/16th and the 5502 is 3/4. The SR5 feels a little tighter to me. If you like to slap, I think the 5502 has a better slap tone. If you like grunt I think the SR5 has a more motivating aggressive tone. I own both and I love both of them. But if I had to name a do it all. I'd say the 5502.