Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stingray B strings

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassist 4 life, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Hi :smug:

So, what is your experience with Stingray5 B strings, are they good and worth the mone, or are they floppy?

Thank you :cool:

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Worth the money IMO.

3. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    Very good. I think it's just a matter of finding the right string for you (and that advice can apply to a lot of 5 string basses). I was using an Everly Bros. B-52 135, and it worked very well.

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I've owned 3 MM5's, and I've never had an issue with the B. Go for it!

5. I think I'm on my own here, but every MM i've tried, stingray or otherwise (except for one sterling at a used shop), has had a floppy B. Maybe I'm just picky, maybe i like mine alot tighter than most, or maybe ive just had bad examples. Look around, see what you find, if you find one that feels right, get it.

6. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    every single sr5 I have played feels great and has an excellent low B string. THE most consistent bass period. go for it!

7. At least the sterling had a nice B right? :rolleyes:

8. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    Me Too

9. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Check profile...

10. My first (and only - so far) SR5 I got used this past summer. I had to pick it up at home and didn't have my amp (that was up at my university apartment), so I went to a friend's place and plugged it into his amp (Peavey BAM210). The B-string was incredible: tight, punchy, growly. I couldn't have asked for more. Back then, it just had the strings it came to me with (EB Slinkys, I think). Now, it has TI Jazz Flats and I'm back in Tampa and have a Christmas Eve gig and will be using his amp. I can't wait to hear how it sounds - it sounds killer with my Eden Metro. If the B-string is your thing and you want that StingRay sound/vibe/mojo/etc, get an SR5.

11. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    I must agree. SR5 B string is quite a tight and powerful B. Maybe AlistairR can add something, he picked up a SR5 two days or so ago.

I have a feeling that most 'crappy' B strings we find at music shops are because the strings are either old or the bass isn't actually tuned. So we may actually be playing a B string gone loose and detuned a few semitones...

12. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I just picked up a 5er Ray tonight. The B string is defined and clear. And it was dropped to Bb while I was wanking at the store.

13. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    I'll drink to that... fo' sho'... :D

Matter of fact, I'm gonna get me one, but I want one of those new double-hummie Ray-5s! As many of you might know, for '05, EB unveiled a 'Special Edition' color- buttercream- and I just think it's ever so lovely! Almost matches... to the shade... my little Fender 'California' Stratocaster, which I had the bridge pup swapped-out for a Seymore Duncan hot-rodded hummie... I digress again, sorry! Anyway, I'm afraid I'll be too late to get me this buttercream color, and that's for two reasons: 1.) I got an email from Bass Central recently telling me they were expecting a Ray-5 HH in buttercream, but it has a rosewood fretboard... I really want a maple fretboard, and I must say, I'm rather adamant about that choice; and 2.) It's a matter of financial responsibility. I just recently pulled the trigger for a Bergantino NV425 to pair-up with my NV215. I also ordered the protective cover, so this has set me back some $1200... and that figure factors-in shipping costs to Paradise. I, also, ordered an SKB 8-space rack, an Alesis power conditioner, and a couple of other accessories, which will add another $300 to my most recent G.A.S. spending spree! So... I'm gonna have to wait until tax return time, and by then, I'm afraid that color, that so beguiles me, will be hard pressed to find. Oh well... as long as I can get one in translucent orange with a maple neck... I'll be content. ;)

Merry Christmas... all! :bassist:

14. Yes, i am very happy with the B string on my ray. Clean and articulate. Very solid.

Can't go wrong with a ray 5 mate!