1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

stingray bass questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by growler571, Sep 26, 2008.

1. growler571

growler571

Sep 19, 2007
    Do you folks think that a stingray could be used for classic rock like the stones, or other classic rock like that, or would it sound to tinny and modern in . I dont think bill wyman would have liked the tone of a stingray over his gibson ebo, or framus star. what do you folks think?

2. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Just play it.

3. IMO, any bass can be used with any genre music with a little EQing of your amp.

4. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

Yes, it definitely can. Benjamin Orr of The Cars (just one example) played a StingRay back in the late-'70s early '80s. I think The Cars qualifies as Classic Rock.

Obviously, the StingRay of today is not exactly the same as the pre-EBMM StingRay. But as someone else said, any bass can be used for any type of music.

5. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    of course it can. The great thing about most basses is that if you EQ it right, it will sit way back in the mix and just do what is needed. The only time you really need a particular "Sound" is if you are way up-front, or are party of a small band where the bass carries a great deal of weight (say, like Rush).

Besides - are you recording music or playing in band? If it's just a band doing club gigs, no one - and I mean NO ONE will notice the difference.

6. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    Unless you are in an authentic tribute band and you look and play exactly like Bill, you wouldn't be facing any hard time playing a Ray.

7. IMO (and this is definatly just my opinion)
    ANY bass can be used for ANY music... its called being creative.
    dont be fooled into thinking that you can only use a certain bass for a certain thing. if we all did that, then everybody would sound the same.

8. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Hmmm... Never saw Wyman with an EB-0. Framsus, Vox, Fender Mustang, Travis Bean, Steinbergers yes, but no Gibsons I've seen.

And I can't understand why folks think that "genre" or "style" dictate the instrument. Just because so many of them use Strats or ES-335 doesnt' mean you can't play blues on a Jazzmaster. You can use a Tobias to play punk, it doesnt' have to be a '70s Precision. You can slap on a P bass, and play a fretless for metal.

It's the player not the gear.

jte

9. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Not to pile on, but: yes, you, the player could make it sound how you want it to sound. Especially with flatwound strings (I personally like D'Addario Chromes) and an Ernie Ball 3-band Stingray (so you can turn down the mids). I assume you have a possible good deal on one? Or you just like how they look, or something? Go ahead and do it, and enjoy.

10. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ

I've had two Stingrays and thought they could use just a *little* extra bottom end with the EQ set flat. However, both respsoned in a big way to just a slight bass boost. Nothing tinny about either of them with that tiny tweak.

I sold one of them but will probably never sell the one I still have. Both have doen a very good job with classic rock songs, just like they have with anything I've played with them. In fact, I'd love to try flats on mine but I'm also really interested in a Precision 5 and I'd use that to scratch my flats itch.

11. whoneedstherapy

whoneedstherapy

Oct 26, 2005
    Sydney
    +1

12. IAmTheDood

IAmTheDood Shake and Bake

Dec 15, 2006
    Waterford, MI
    just be sure to take a stingray to a country music audition and see what they say. :)

LOL..

just kidding .. ray's are great for classic rock .. i play a sterling in a classic rock cover band ..

a lot of cover bands around here have rays in their arsenal.

13. ()smoke()

()smoke()

Feb 25, 2006
    Dallas

i'm going to take a different path here and ask if you already own the stingray or if you're considering buying one to play the type of music you describe

if you already own it, i agree you can play it...i disagree that no one will know the difference between a stingray and another bass, but i agree that if you eq right it will work

however, if you're looking to buy a bass for that kind of music, you might want to play a few and then decide which you can make work with your amp, playing style, etc....

:)

14. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I use Stingrays in my cover band and we play lots of Stones, ZZ Top, Zeppelin, Doobie Brothers, Steely Dan, Stevie Ray Vaughan, etc. and it sounds great.

We also play RHCP, Police, U2, Sublime, lots of '70's funk, Lenny Kravitz and other more modern rock.

I have been gigging my 30th Anniversary SR lately and it sounds so good for the above tunes that I just bought another. I think I will put flats on one and rounds on the other though. THAT IMO is Stingray heaven.