1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stingray body + sterling neck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KingRazor, Dec 6, 2011.

1. For most people, probably not. But for me, that'd be awesome.

If you've seen very many of my posts here on talkbass, you'll know I'm not a big fan of musicman basses.

The thing is, I like the tone of the Stingray, but I hate the neck. I can't play on it, don't know what it is about the size, shape, or profile, I just don't like it.

On the other hand, the Sterling has a great neck. Super easy to play.

If they made a Stingray with a Sterling neck I'd strongly consider buying one (even with my whole thing against onboard EQ, but that's another story).

This thought ever crossed anyone's mind here?

2. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    Endorsed by K.B. Guitars, Nordstrand Audio Pickups, Von York Strings and Gallien-Krueger Amps.
    Ummmm, I believe they do make one. It's called a SLO special for San Luis Obispo where they are made.

Here is the difference in necks between a regular Stingray neck and a SLO Special.

Neck Width:
    1-5/8" (41.3 mm) at nut 2-1/2" (63.5 mm) at last fret;
    Optional "SLO Special" 1-1/2" (38.1mm) at nut 2-1/2" (63.5mm) at last fret.

Here are the specs from a Sterling neck.

Neck Width:
    1-1/2" (38.1 mm) at nut, 2-1/2" (63.5 mm) at last fret.

3. Are they all HH models?

4. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    Endorsed by K.B. Guitars, Nordstrand Audio Pickups, Von York Strings and Gallien-Krueger Amps.
    No, I was just visiting Bass Centrals site and they have them in single H configuration too.

5. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Yeah you can get the SLO StingRay in any config you want.
    Only difference is it's still a 21 fret neck with the 1.5" nut width (the Sterling is 22 frets).

6. Cool, I'll look into that.

7. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Yup - SLO Special... I can understand where the OP is coming from - I like StingRay tone, but prefer the Sterling's neck... I recently bought a Sterling, and love the neck width and shape - and although I wasn't overwhelmed by it's tone *by itself*, it seemed to work pretty well in a band context... I got mine on friday, and gigged it with my band on saturday - and it sounded pretty good in a band mix...

- georgestrings

8. +1 for Slo Specials. They're wonderful and a godsend from MM for people with smaller hands, like me. They're really fantastic. Not available in nearly as many colors as a Stingray Standard (I've only ever seen white/maple, black/rosewood, and cherry burst with both necks), but I made it work. I'd say it's worth it.

9. rumblinbass

rumblinbass

Aug 22, 2003
    Wimberley, TX
    +1. Love the Stingray tone (I have an SR4) but would love the slimmer neck of the Sterling.
    I have tossed around the idea of getting a SUB Sterling and SUB Stingray and swapping necks. They have the same neck pocket.

10. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Only if you're shopping in Gutar Center...
    You can get them in all the standard colors. If it doesn't exist in a store, you special can order it

11. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    Bass Central can order a person a Stingray SLO Special in any configuration that the regular Stingrays have and give them a great deal and customer service too. My next choice after them in The Perfect Bass as I have also heard really good things about those guys too.