Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stingray body

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassRocker8713, May 2, 2005.

1. BassRocker8713

BassRocker8713

Jul 15, 2003
    I'm going to start building my own bass, but not by hand. I'm looking to make it a Stingray/Sterling-type bass, but I can't seem to find any replacement bodies anywhere. It doesn't need to be an "official" Stingray or Sterling replacement body, just one that is the same shape and can have the same pickguard put on. Does anyone know of a place online that I can find one to purchase? Thanks in advance.

2. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    I belive that there is none, you batter buy an OLP and start moding it.

3. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    My thought would be a Warmoth P-Bass body routed for an MM pickup in the "MM-Sweet Spot" would be your closest offering. Then just get yourself a pickguard "blank" and cut it to the right shape, or "scab" a pickguard off of an existing MM type bass.

4. mxpx8990

mxpx8990

May 1, 2005
    If You get in contact with Ed Roman Guitars in Las Vegas they will part out any of their guitars and basses and they also do anything you want custom. www.edromanguitars.com

5. greg

greg

Jun 1, 2004
    Austin,Tx
    bad idea.....but don't turn this into an ed roman thread!!! ive already accidently done this once....

6. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    ...and break numerous laws regarding patents, trademarks and copyrights while doing so!! Woo-hoo! :scowl:

Stay as far away from Ed Roman as humanly possible, for the only fact that I've heard quite telling tales of shoddy workmanship, up to the point of buying up old starter Kramers at Guitar conventions and shows, stripping them down and painting them as old-school striped EVH superstrats, and selling them for 2k+.

...for a plywood-bodied guitar. Check Harmony Central and Jemsite.com for other "Tales of Roman!" Wow, that sounds like a cool horror anthology series. ;)

7. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    You're probably gonna hate me:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7312893333

:bag:

8. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
  9. BassRocker8713

BassRocker8713

Jul 15, 2003
    So there's no where that I can get just a Sterling or Stingray body? I even looked on Ed Roman and couldn't find anything.....

10. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Um, I believe someone here was selling one a few days ago...

So uh, I don't know. Maybe get an OLP (they were clearing them out at $150 before) and go from there...

11. Has anyone seen or heard of this kinda thing since? I'd love to build my own Stingray as well but haven't found anything. And I'm not sure what the OLP's are made of but they just don't seem to have the weight of the real thing.