1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stingray classic owners...G string question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BrandonBass, Jan 10, 2012.

1. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    Do you all experience any 'weak g' strings on the bass?

Some people confirm it, some people deny it....but from my personal experience having owned 5 rays, 2 of them definitely has a weaker sounding g than the rest.

Here are the basses Ive owned:

1. rosewood/alder(?)1980s japanese EX series stingray 3band - great g string, great sounding bass
    2. 90s maple/ash stingray 3band- weak sounding bass overall I have no idea why. Clanky with weak mids. Poor g string
    3. late 80s rosewood/ash ray 2band - E, A and D strings are not too bad, g string was weak
    4. late 90s maple/ash ray 3band - sounds like flea's modulus, pretty hi-fi sounding with high mids focus. The G string is pretty even in output surprisingly
    5. late 80s rosewood/poplar(?) 2band - sounds great across all strings

Im in the market for a maple ray, I dont really need it but itd be nice to own one since im a sucker for rays. The classic series has got some interesting colors to choose from, but ive heard from afew users that the g and d strings can be abit weak compared to the E and A strings even WITH the pickups higher on the G string side.

Im not sure if its a coincidence that 2 of the best stringrays ive played are with rosewood fingerboard and a body made not with ash, all opinions welcomed!

2. zackthompson

zackthompson Endorsing Artist: MJC Ironworks Strings

Jul 18, 2011
    Virginia Beach
    My classic stingray doesn't have the weak G string problem.

3. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    Mine either.

You most likely have a EQ issue if you're experiencing a "weak G string".

TD

4. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    maybe, but unlikely. since ive ran 2 rays through the same setup and the difference is pretty obvious. Even more so in a band mix

5. chrisp2g

chrisp2g

Apr 21, 2008
    Philadelphia, PA
    I just picked up a classic ray and notice I have a weak d and g. I raised the pick up some, but won't be able to try it out until tomorrow at pratice.

6. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    let me know how it goes with the pickup nearer to the g string!

7. chrisp2g

chrisp2g

Apr 21, 2008
    Philadelphia, PA
    Will do.

8. I have an older ray, with lots of bass eq'd in the G is a bit weaker but other than that, nah.