Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stingray Clones AXL vs OLP

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stoneroses, Apr 10, 2004.

1. stoneroses

stoneroses

Feb 29, 2004
    So much good has been said bout the OLPs
    endorsement from musicman surely does the OLP no harm.
    but wait..
    the AXL has a solid alder body
    while the colored OLPs come in the basswood.
    The OLP in natural color comes in the more respectable elm body
    sound aside,judging from the material alone,shouldn't the vote of the PEOPLE go to AXL?

2. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
  3. stoneroses

stoneroses

Feb 29, 2004
    what i mean to say is usually alder decidedly sonically superior to basswood?

4. stoneroses

stoneroses

Feb 29, 2004
    My post post sounds like I've got food in my mouth.
    The reason I'm looking beyond the olp is because
    1.the OLP has only three colors on offer:blue,black and natural
    2.i don't like basswood
    The pickup on the AXL has a cheapskate look and feel to it,but that won't bother me much as I'm going upgrade the pickup anyway.
    its the natural color in basswood vs the cherry sunburst in solid alder
    which will u pick?

5. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Can you save up for a real Musicman SUB? I liked it a LOT more that the OLP.

6. Im getting an OLP 5 String when I get the money.

7. stoneroses

stoneroses

Feb 29, 2004
    that will set me back by about another $700?
    I'll audition it at the shop then

8. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    I'll admit I'm biased because I own the OLP, but IMO this is my rundown. The OLP has the AXL on looks, but the AXL has better colors. If you ever plan to upgraged either one of them with a preamp it looks like you should go OLP because it already has 3 spots to add knobs. The knobs also look more natural on the OLP. Have you looked at the Jay Turser?

9. devil259

devil259

Feb 13, 2004
    anyway...is AXL Licensed by Ernie Ball? i can't find it official site on net...hmmm

10. stoneroses

stoneroses

Feb 29, 2004
  11. devil259

devil259

Feb 13, 2004
    hmmm....i feel like getting olp or axl bass...and change the neck to musicman stingray neck...cos my local guitar shop is selling them... any suggestion?

12. That headstock is downright atrocious.

13. Acepiloto

Acepiloto

Aug 25, 2000
    ???

I've never seen or heard about a bass made of elm except for this one.

I agree with posts above, save for a S.U.B.

14. stoneroses

stoneroses

Feb 29, 2004
    opting for the OLP will leave me with spare cash to invest on a seymour duncan humbucker plus a christina aguilera op3 pre-amp.would this be better than getting a SUB?
    what wood is the SUB made from anyway?it looks pretty filmsy to me from the pics.
    and back to my original question:
    AXL is made from solid alder while basswood which the OLP is made from always turns up last in voting polls.
    i have a bass made from that same dreadful material and yeah,you guessed it,the sound sux.I would say hollow in a pseudo warm manner with no bite and uninspired(hmm this adjective could be attributed to the player).that piece of wood could have been a flourishing tree!now its just a piece of unappreciated dead log!

15. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Spending as much or more on pickup and preamp upgrades is a crapshoot. If the bass played unamplified doesn't have a good tone the electronics won't help.

A well constructed passive MM type bass like an MTD Kingston will sound much better than an OLP with pickup and preamp upgrades while costing just about the same.

My $0.02

16. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    I'd say save up for a proper bass!! I think noone should upgrade to an OLP, this is a beginners bass. Unless you're just going to mess around with it. Stay far away from the AXL. if you decide to tradr the OLP later (which you probably will) it has a better reputation and that's what matters in that price range.

17. devil259

devil259

Feb 13, 2004
    erm...may i know what is the cost of a Musicman Stingray?

18. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    If you want a clone of the Stingray, get a Dillion. Those who have tried them here will tell you the same.

I own a 5-string which [utterly SHAMELESS plug]I'm selling for $300.00 shipped if interested.[/utterly SHAMELESS plug].

19. I've been told the US Bongo has a basswood body though?

20. stoneroses

stoneroses

Feb 29, 2004
    Despite hearing so much about the OLP ,never actually laid my hands on one.
    but this day had to come,and that it did on Thursday.
    My bass coach,who also tried to play the bass was being polite when he said that he didn't find the bass suitable for him.
    bright but thin,that's my analysis of the character of an OLP.
    As disappointed I was with the sound,I was also relieved to not have wasted my money on that bass.

basswood is ****e
    so let it be written,so let it be done