1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stingray + Coil Split => Sterling?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JFT, Jun 20, 2002.

1. Would adding a coil splitter and a switch to a Stingray transform it, soundwise and versatility wise, into a Sterling???

Used MM basses are very rare in my area I see Stingray for sales once in a while but never any Sterling.

Thanks.

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I *think* the pickup is different (one is ceramic and one is Alnico?), and the layout of the pickup in relation to the bridge is slightly different. (There was a recent thread abot this - check the archives.) Of couse, the Sterling has the narrower J neck profile, too.

I'm pretty sure I've seen Stingrays with coil splitting, and they can be had with either two band or three band EQ.

Can you shoplift a Stingray 5? ;)

3. My my HeavyDuty you have a near encyclopedic bass knowledge :p

Now I think I guess where your handle comes from ;)

Your absolutely everywhere, answering tons of questions. :D

Coming from guitar background I guess (without having touched neither) I wouldn't feel as comfy on a Stingray then....

All this definitively seems to point more and more to a Sterling... I'm about to sell all my RC stuff (Radio-Controlled) and up to today I thought it would be enough but for a Sterling I'll have to sell quite more... Decision Decision...

Thanks again

P.S. Are you sure you aren't working for MM ? Joking!

4. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Naw, I just like my Sterling, have a lot of opinions, and hang out here too much! You're just asking about stuff I enjoy - I don't know any more than others here, and less than most. I'm a bit of a hardware junkie. (Also, it's easy to be everywhere when you use the "newest posts" function!)

Get out there and play, friend! That's the only way you'll discover what works *for you*. As an example, I've always shied away from P-basses because of the neck. However, tonight I spent about a half hour with a delightful, lightweight '95 AmStd P that just blew me away! Each bass is an individual - I've handled Sterlings at stores that have left me cold.

Where in Canada are you? Are there any decent stores you can get to? (Fill out your %$$#& profile!)

R/C? What'cha trying to get rid of? I have a lot of friends into R/C...

5. Eh Eh I'm in Montreal, Quebec.

I'm a frog! (Expression used by anglophon in Canada to qualify the French speaking minority!)

So that's why my English is far from perfect. Altough I speak English everyday at work :(

There a few (3) good store but not all brands are imported. MTD can't be found anywhere in Canada apparently.

Anyway here's a bit about me. I'm too a hardware junky in all domain which is why I'm doing so much research before getting that first bass.

I play saxophone since I was 14 and I'm now 32. (Altough I haven't touch it very much in the last 10 years).

Since my wife was playing piano we got both a piano and a synth a few years ago and so I started to learn bits (just enough to know my way and use it with sequencer to compose).

I started guitar about a year and a half ago and realize how wrong my life had been before I picked a string instrument. Guitar brought to my life what had miss all along. My sax was missing polyphony whereas there is no physical intimacy with a synth i.e. your touch does little to change the sound compare to a truly physical instrument.

I got quite a bit more into composition with the guitar still I figured out that the first part I always wrote down was always the bassline. This lead me to think I might as well get into the real thing and get a bass.

I bought a few books and researched a lot on the internet read a bit about technique but also a lot about the philosophy and role of bassplayer. For example I didn't know that the bass was considered a rhythmic instrument like the drum. I realized that in the end YES I truly love guitar but my fascination with rhythm and bassline probably means I'm predisposed toward bass...

Finally I used to have WAY too much money for my own sake. Got 4 guitars worth a couple grands in my very first year learning guitar. And although this may sound crazy in the end that was a best move because everyday I play one or the other.

Quality instruments have this: if you look at them you want to play them and once you picked them up you can't put them down again. This is simply invaluable a trait that considerably accelerated my learning on the guitar.

But All this was BEFORE the baby was born and my wife quit her job... For now gathering 1000$Can for a bass is mind boggling :mad:

I like quality instrument and the knowledge that they won't hinder my learning. Also they provide an incentive to play.

So here you go with my VERY LONG introduction. I guess you are sleeping now but you did asked for my profile!

P.S. To get a Sterling I'll certainly have to sell a guitar :(

6. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Aha! I had a feeling you were a Canadien - it must be your phrasing.

Trust me - your English is far, far better than my French!

I agree wholeheartedly. There's a certain pleasure that comes from playing a quality instrument. (Playing a best quality custom must be damn near orgasmic!) And I do believe the better the instrument plays, the more you'll practice.

Have fun with your search!