Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stingray - Convert to Fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by metron, Oct 23, 2003.

1. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Hey bass heads! Lately I have been thinking about getting a fretless neck for my Stingray. I just dont use it much because its a bit too agressive for what I play but I could really utilize a fretless. I guess Im just looking for pros or cons about doing this. Has anyone ever gotten a replacement neck from EB? Comments about a fretless Ray sound would be great too because Ive never played one. Thanks!

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Ernie Ball Corp won't sell you a plain neck without return of the existing neck. It keeps people from making cheap copy bodies and selling them to others as if they were the real thing.

I know there are direct graphite replacement 'ray necks available from Moses Graphite online, but they're a bit pricey and graphite isn't the ideal neck for a fretless.

Personally, I'd consider just having the frets removed, the fretlines filled in, and the nut refiled for proper fretless action. You could always get it re-fretted later if you don't like it, or you could get a fretted aftermarket graphite neck for it.

Best of luck.

3. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Does anyone know if there are any other fretless neck replacement options available from EB besides pao ferro? Im kind of interested in ebony...

4. Im sure a professional defretting job wouldn't cost any more than a good replacement neck.

5. Metron go to the Dude Pit and ask Jacko. He will know!

http://pub206.ezboard.com/fthedudepitfrm30

[​IMG]
    Treena

6. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Thanks for the suggestions/info! I was playing my Ray last night and I decided I love the neck on it and I have to keep it the way it is. Ill just have to spring for a fretless to quench my current gas pains!

Treena all those emoticons you have are funny. I find myself staring at them all the time to see what they'll do next! :D

7. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Ok Im back to the fretless thing for my Stingray. Im sending it to EB for a fixer-upper and Im pretty sure I want to have them put a fretless neck on it while its there. Im looking for comments on the singing quality of the pao ferro EB necks since Ive never tried one and cant seem to find one anywhere in town. Is there a decent mwah factor or not so much...? Is the MM pickup too punchy for fretless perhaps? Any comments welcome. Thanks people! :)

8. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I personally have never liked fretless Stingrays, 4 or 5. To my ears, they yield a tone that is too much like a fretted instrument, not nearly as warm and organic as I would like.

On the other hand, I play (and love) fretted Stingrays, and currently have a fretted Stingray 5 that I love, so it's not a question of not liking Rays in general. Fretless Rays just sound too defined and precise, qualities I'm *not* going for when I play fretless.

Greg

9. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Huh. Well I just called EB to see what it would cost to get a fretless neck put on my bass and the guy said they will not do that. Nothing on the bass can/will be modified by the company as per their policy. They wouldnt even switch maple for rosewood. Seems kinda lame to me but he said its for serial number and record purposes. Meh. The only way to get an EB fretless neck is to get a bass with one on it. I like everything about EB except for their retentive anti-modification policy.... :meh: