Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stingray copy OLP or SX???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tuBass, Sep 23, 2005.

1. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I'm looking for a cheap (less than $400) bass to add to the family. What I would like is a stingray style bass that i can pop a Nordstrand pickup into.

I'm considering the upcoming SX stingray, or the OLD MM3. Keep in mind that I mean to throw all electronics away whichever one I get, I'm just looking for an opinion on workmanship. I know the SX isn't out yet, but based on other SX models, I assume that the Stingray will be similar.

:bassist:

2. BigTopBruno

BigTopBruno

Sep 6, 2002
    NJ, USA
    well...here's my .02.

I've owned SX (bad fret work & heavy), OLP (bettter frets but neck moves a lot), and a Ray (awesome).

For 4 bills, you could do a lot better....used SUB, Fender, MTD Kingston...there are lot better than the SX/OLP...

JMHO

peace

3. Based on their J and P copy's, I'd have to say the SX would be my choice. But that is biassed based on price, cause over here an SX jazz could be had for $260 where's OLP's are in the $500range. I have played the 5string OLP 'ray copy, string spacing was too tight IMO and it sounded a bit lame, but your replacing the electronics so that doesn't matter. The feel wasn't too bad at all, frets were playable, nothing great but no problems and the neck felt solid too.

4. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I'm waitin for the SX. My experience with SX has been nothing but spectacular, so I'll go with them again.

5. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I've thought about the kingston, but the transparent blue ones are almost $600, if you can find one. I would still need another $100 for the pickup.

right now I'm leaning toward a sub $200 SX, but if a used OLP came available for that same price I would have to think hard.

It also depends on what the SX's look like when they hit the states. If they have to dramtically alter the style to avaiold legal problems (ALA the ugly headstock found on some of the newer fender style basses) then I may eliminate it just on that.

The weight doesn't bother me, I'm 6'8 and almost 300 pounds, so what's another 10 or 12?

6. No telling on how long it will be til we see the SX MM bass. The OLP is out now, but I've heard some bad things about their reliability and overall quality. I have an SX bass and it is on par with anything from Fender mexico. I would expect the SX MM to be better quality than the OLP, but we'll have to see. Like others have said, I'd wait a bit. Save up til you have $500. Then you can buy an actual MM SUB!

7. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    Don't really want a SUB. I consider it ugly and uncomfortable. If I was going to spend that kind of money, I'd get a kingston.

I really just want a platform for a nordstrand pickup, which has a classic ray sound. Modern EBMM 5 string basses don't do the same thing for my ears that the old 4 strings do, and the nordstand is the closest I've found to that sound.

Looking forward to seeing the SX, I also might consider a Dillion.

8. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    wanted to update this thread.

It's been a few months, and no sign of the SX stingray at rondo, but there is a new player on the market. I'm hearing great things about the new single M basses from The Bass Company. If only the pickguard wasn't so ugly...

I am so ready to get a stingray, and I've been in love with the signature tone for as long as can remember. One major problem. I use a 5 string bass, and really don't want to go back to a 4.

Everytime I've gone to a music store to make the leap, I've made the mistake of playing a 4 string to compare it to the SR5. I've never been able to get the SR5 to give me the same growl and bite as the 4, and that's why I've never bought one.

9. My OLP MM2 cost $250 brand new, and (I've probably posted this 15 times) IMO sounds better than any sub $1k bass I've ever played. You don't even have to swap out the electronics. The stock passives sound awesome!

10. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I guess I need to go A/B an OLP. the last time I tried one it sounded thin and nasty, but I'm willing to give it another shot

11. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    nice find! Sounds like a good bass, with a bad electronics/pre-amp In other words, a perfect candidate for a passive nordstrand upgrade like I was talking about.

Who wrote the page? Is it a TB'er?

13. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I just saw on the Essex megathread that Kurt expects them no later than March. I hopr that means the 5 strings too.

They are so good looking, I think I'm going to wait to see what the Sx's look like when they hit the states. If they look as good as the ones I've seen already, It's going to be a hot ticket and they won't have them in stock for long.

Mark

14. I'd go with the OLP. Every once In a while Guitar Center will have them at $199 instead of $249.

I went to a show (to see my friends band) and the bassist of the band on before my friends was playing a black one, but it had what looked to be a Seymour Duncan pup in it and it sounded reeeaaaallllllly good. He might of had a pre in it as well, but I couldn't tell from where I was, and he didnt touch it at all while while playing (it was a Punk/Emo band, :oops: :rollno: ).

15. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
  16. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas

I mentioned those in an earlier post. I would be all over that if it wasn't for the butt-ugly pickguard. I even started a thread pleading with the nice guys at TBC to offer an alternative one.

17. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    i dunno, SX basses are nice, but to be honest, they need some TLC to make them a decent bass to play for gigging.

18. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    that's why I'd rather get a TBC bass. It really depends on how much the MM is when it finally arrivers. If it's in the 100-130 range, I'll get one no matter what, just for fun. If it's $200-300, I probably would go with the OLP.

19. xbradx

xbradx

Oct 25, 2004
    Indianapolis, IN
    another thing to watch out for with the OLP's is that they have two very different bridge styles available. one is a very cheap and flimsy "70's, mute style" MM bridge, without the mutes(obviously) and without the two posts on the two side mounting screws that keep the saddles together. I had one of these and while everything else about the bass was pretty nice, that cheap bridge pretty much ruined it for me. thought about either holding out for an EBMM bridge to pop up either on here or on ebay, or slapping on a BAII(since the string spacing is a bit wider than fender bridges)...but decided to cut my losses and sell it.
    I will probably buy one of what i'm assuming is a newer model OLP MM2 with what appears to be an actual MM bridge(or at least based on the more recent EBMM bridges). Played a couple down at GC in Indy the other day and they felt much better to play than the older ones, still not quite like the real thing, but close enough for $200 :bassist: