Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stingray Copy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pantsman, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Hey all, just sharing the good news that I've bought a new bass! (i'll make it real by adding some pics when I actually get the bas).

Its a Magnum Stingray copy, sunburst body, black headstock and all the hardware is black too, its got a 3 bolt neck and a double J pickup. The bass is passive too, the bridge is also string through body or normal. The best thing is I got it for AU$130!! but it is missing one knob and has a nasty dent in the neck right where my thumb goes, but these can be fixed.

Just wondering if anyone else has one of these basses or has had any experience with them? This is going to be my first project bass however i don't think there is much on it i can do :confused:

Maybe glue the neck in, replace the pickup and maybe an active preamp?

Thanks for listening :p

2. Excuse the ignorance; why glue the neck in? Trying for a tight fit and sound? (Ala "neck-through)?

3. steve4765630

steve4765630

Feb 27, 2006
    I'm only aware of OLP and Johnson that make aStingray copy. What is yours. The other two sound pretty good right out of the box.

4. The brand name is Magnum, they might be an Australian brand by the sounds of it, I couldn't find anything on them using Google. They make alot of low cost copies like P and Jazz basses, but this bass seems to be higher quality than the new Magnums I've seen in stores. It did sound great when i plugged it in, Growl and Punch would be the 2 words I'd use to describe it.

5. Bump, anyone know anything about this bass or even Magnum in general?

6. Bump; uh...why would you glue the neck in?...