Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stingray Crackling Noise

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassyBill, Mar 12, 2005.

1. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I was lucky enough to get a new Stingray 3EQ this week - great bass! Most of the time there is no noise at all, but when I rub my finger gently across the pickguard/scratchplate I get a weird crackling noise. It only happens on the pickguard and none of my other basses have this problem. It's not a major thing, but it can be just heard when changing right hand position during playing. Anybody else had this or got any clue to the cause? :confused:

2. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    It may sound stupid but try polishing the bass (static electricity), I had the same problem and a tech told me that. The problem went away! Are you practicing on carpet?

3. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Thanks for the reply. It doesn't sound stupid; you're dead right. I took the pickguard off and rubbed it - it crackled like crazy! I polished the guard with a bit of "Mr Sheen" (contains some anti-static stuff) and the crackling went away. Pickguard back on, problem solved, at least temporarily. I wonder if Ernie Ball use different plastic for their pickguards to Fender/Rickenbacker (never noticed a problem with either of these). Can you buy anti-static pickguards? This might be a longer term solution. I don't want to keep taking the pickguard off to polish it, and I'm not using Mr Sheen on the rest of the bass!! ;)

4. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I glad I could help, that's part of what talkbass is about! as far as it coming back I would not worry too much now that you know what it is. just wipe the bass down before and after you play it, especially when playing on carpet or rugs.
    I have a walnut p-bass that suffers from this from time to time but when I play out it is'nt noticable.