Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

StingRay debut...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Blueszilla, May 24, 2003.

1. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    You may or may not know, but I bought a '95 Stingray from Smash, and it arrived on Tuesday. I played it tonight for the first time at a gig.

This afternoon, I bought a set of strings for a 5 & put the BEAD strings on the bass. Had to make a few small modifications but it worked out just fine. i played the first set with my RB5 and it sounded good, solid, normal. I plugged in the 'Ray for the 2nd and 3rd sets and was just knocked out by the difference. I like the RB5 a lot, its been my main gigging bass for 5 or 6 years, but the difference in tone was truly significant. My rig finally sounds like I thought it was supposed to when I bought it. On the guitar I cut the mids ever so slightly and boosted the bass. High end was rolled off, as I got a good amount of fret noise at detente position or higher. I'm very pleased, lots of growl, cuts through really well. This is going to be my working bass for a while, I have to get used to the feel of a BEAD four.

The band sounded better, tighter and we had a good night for groovin', lots of fun. so I say that the Stingray acquisition was just what the doctor ordered!!!

Thanks Smash, it performs as advertised!:bassist:

2. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    First, Stingray's are great insturments, it should be good to you.

Second, I almost fell off my chair when I saw your avatar. :cool:

3. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    How exactly did you get the BEAD strings to fit in the nut? I am having a bit of difficulty with a similiar situation now.

Thanks.

4. Glad you're happy with the 'ray, BZ!!!:cool:

I've always had a thing for that unmistakable midrange voice, it is a timeless, cool tone IMO!! :cool:

5. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    It's your typical white plastic nut and the guys at the local music store said to just use a new emory board to file the sides fo the slots. He said be patient and don't make the slot deeper, just wider to acommodate the string width. I had to tweak the truss rod a little (less total tension). Really it was simple and it worked out very well for me. I like playing the BEAD so much on a 4, I'm going to do the same with my p-bass. I traded the pickup in it for a split coil EMG and the store is dropping it in today.

The tone of this guitar is just fat, uberfat, fatly, fatted....

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Glad it worked out for you, man! I told ya earlier: BEAD is the ONLY way to have a 4 banger.