Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stingray: distortion in preamp?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by steveksux, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Just got a MM stingray, used. I noticed with my volume all the way up, and the bass knob cranked to the max, and when I dig in, I hear distortion. I have a clip light on the input of the preamp, its not going off, so the distortion is onboard the bass, not in the amp.

New battery installed first thing. Anybody else notice this on their Stingray? Its 9 volt electronics. Could be normal I suppose..... but wondering if there's a problem.

Randy

2. blaire

blaire

Jul 15, 2003
    The land of Rice
    Take it to the local shop and get them to check it for you. Im not technically minded with these things so thats what I would do. ;)

3. Thanks, I'll try the battery/cable stuff first. I know the clip light works, I had to turn the input down to keep it from going off, the bass output is definitely HOT with volume/bass all the way up. I'll also try plugging direct into the power amp, that should be able to handle a pretty beefy input without overdriving.... certainly ought to be more than the bass can put out.

I found something on the EB website about recommended pickup height, I'll make sure its not too high. I'd rather leave it in the right position, and turn down the knobs on the bass to eliminate the distortion, doesn't pickup height have something to do with its tone? Or is that a myth? I thought I read that somewhere, but I would "think" it only affects the volume...

Randy

4. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    welcome to the world of stingrays.

mine does the same thing. which is why i dont use it.

5. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    what you need to do is lower the input gain on your amp a lot.

6. I maximize the bass control on my 2EQ stingray:) Well, most of the time at about 70-80%, together with 20% treble, a tone to die for :hyper: