Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stingray (EB 2-band)

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by morebass!, Jun 26, 2004.

1. morebass!

morebass! I'm listening

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    It's an '86, white/tort/rosewood, a little beat but has the unmistakable Stingray bite. Neck is nice. Plenty of birdseye - I can play faster on it than on my Fenders. 2-band EQ gives huge bass and/or tons 'o treble when needed.

The bad news for some will be that it has several bumps and bruises. I'll get pictures to those that are concerned. One or more go through the finish. No playability or sound issues.

I'm selling because after a long search I've realized that passive basses are more suited to my style. I thought about modifying this bass because it's so comfortable and plays so nice but I'd probably lose on that. I've owned it for 10 years. :crying:

I'm looking for a preamp if anyone wants to offer one as partial trade. Something with footswithable EQ would be nice but not necessary.

2. fresnorich

fresnorich

Sep 17, 2003
    Fresno, CA
    It's almost like a passive Stingray:
    Up for trade is a 1991 G&L L-1000 bass guitar (same year as Leo’s death). It is fairly rare due to its minty condition, chrome G&L tuners w/ black tuning posts and gears (way cool!), rear control cavity, and sidemount jack (no banana shaped control cover on front).
    This is the USA model built at the Fender Ave. Factory in Fullerton, CA, and NOT the Korean built Tribute. It is in a beautiful Olympic White. I can only find one or two visible chips, bruises or scratches on the bass and some normal fine line swirls from polishing. A 9.5 out of 10, and only because it‘s 13 yrs old. The body is Premium Alder with a AAA finish, the neck is hard rock maple (no dents), and the fretboard is maple (and beautiful). The bridge is a G&L Saddle Lock in anodized black (this baby is solid). Weight is 9.5 lbs. The Serial # is B021984. The bass plays and sounds great. The neck is straight and the truss rod is fully adjustable. Also... it has a brass nut, and it's cut just right. The frets show very little wear and the fretwork is better than anything I’ve seen on any MIA Fender (see pics). The only thing I’ve done to it is to add Black Dunlop Straplocks. They look great on this bass and function very well. The only reason I’m selling this bass is to get a Jazz bass or Stingray/Sterling with a rosewood fretboard. This bass has been owned and traded around by a couple guys in here: Gregg (frankensteinberger) Brad (bdgotoh) and Larry (Xhawk4) have all owned and given this bass the thumb’s up. A Fender Hardshell case is included in this trade: dented, but okay condition (latches all work; no cracks).

The following information was provided to me by the previous seller, except where noted:
    NECK RADIUS: 12” (304.8mm) NOTE: I’m not so sure about the neck radius. It looks the same as my Fender Sting bass which is 7.5”. It could be a #5 Note: You can get more info at the G&L website (www.glguitars.com).
    NECK WIDTH AT BRASS NUT: 1 ¾” (44.5mm) NOTE: It measures about 1 5/8” (actually 1 21/32” on my ruler). Again, the measurement is nearly identical to my Fender Sting bass which is listed as 1.625” (41.3mm).

See more pictures at:
    http://members23.clubphoto.com/richard872182/2419060/owner-5cf1.phtml
    http://members23.clubphoto.com/richard872182/2419068/owner-5cf1.phtml

Obviously, I would be willing to throw in a little cash on the deal, since I’d like to upgrade a notch. Would like weight to be less than 9.5lbs. Rosewood fretboard preferred.

If you're interested I'd like to see some pics of your bass.

3. morebass!

morebass! I'm listening

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    I might be interested. 2 questions: Are you sure the body is alder? All other G&Ls I've looked at have been ash. I prefer alder and would be disappointed if it turned out to be ash. Also can you tell me the distance between the center of the pickup magnet and the bridge saddle on the A string? Sounds odd maybe but that is key to whether it sounds more like a P-bass or something else. Any comments on tone would be of interest.

4. morebass!

morebass! I'm listening

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    I guess that would be 2 measurements since the pickup is a humbucker and yeah I'm working on getting pictures up.

Is the G&L passive? What are the knobs and switches for? Nice looking bass!

5. fresnorich

fresnorich

Sep 17, 2003
    Fresno, CA
    The previous owners (Gregg, Brad, and Larry) all seemed to believe that the body is alder and they know a lot more about this stuff than I do (I'm relatively new to basses). I will see what I can find out through the guitarsbyleo site or try e-mailing G&L to get more info for you. I'd like to know for sure for myself anyway. I do know that it's lighter than many earlier L-1000's which often weighed in over 10 lbs.

I also know that the pickup is known to be located in the P-bass "sweet spot". I'll measue it. By saddle you mean the adjustable piece that slides up and down on the screw, right. If so, then it looks like 5 1/4" to the lower magnets and about 6 1/8" to the upper. What are the measuements on a P-bass?

Yes, it's passive! No batteries here; but this pickup is hot! Read the reviews on harmony-central.com or here on TB. Controls are Volume, Bass and Treble. 3-way switch is humbucking, single coil, and bass boost (my favorite).

Couple questions for you:
    6 bolt neck?
    weight?
    any dents on neck or fingerboard?

6. morebass!

morebass! I'm listening

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    Thanks for measuring. And yes that is the saddle. The placement of the pickup is a key factor in tone. Yours is right in P-bass territory. Let me know when/if you find out about the wood. To be fair I don't know the body wood on the 'Ray. The preamp is the main tone factor there.

To answer your questions:

6 bolt neck? Nope, just 4
    weight? about 9.5 lbs. Balance is excellent
    any dents on neck or fingerboard? No dents on fingerboard. Several on the edge of the body.

Still need to think on this as I was really hoping for a preamp and some cash. Still, your bass is of interest.

7. fresnorich

fresnorich

Sep 17, 2003
    Fresno, CA
    If you decide that you're still interested, I'd love to see some pics of your bass.

8. morebass!

morebass! I'm listening

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    I'm having a tough time with the digital camera but I think I will prevail soon. Maybe tonight. Sorry about the delay. (goshdurnednewfangledpieceo...)

On the G&L, my current financial situation and need for a preamp may overrule my bass lust and force me to seek cash. I'm still trying to justify it....

Oh yeah, bump

9. Walbassman

Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    how about an almost new (never racked) Bass pod pro and a refin'd 1980 Precision for the stingray?

10. I don't see the asking price anywhere.

11. morebass!

morebass! I'm listening

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    Walbassman - no thanks on the trade. If I can't figure out this camera I'd never figure out the Pod. Plus my P-bass would never forgive me.

Pricewise I'm looking to get $750 but will consider offers (I know, I know you want pictures). Tradewise I'm looking for a preamp or maybe a 3x10 or lightweight 4x10. Or maybe a MIM jazz.