Stingray Five a One Trick Pony?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rickreyn, Jul 29, 2001.

1. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Re: a past thread. Why would a Stingray 5 be viewed as a "one trick pony." I could see this if it had only one pickup setting. I am seriously considering switching over from a Warwick Corvette Standard, which I believe is closer to that description. Before I do, I want to get this resolved first. One other thing. Who has the best selection and prices on Musicman basses. The one I am looking at Sam Ash is $1,400.
  2. snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Hi rickreyn,
    I know that a lot of bass players call the MM a one trick pony, and I'm sure there are a lot of basses out there that may be more "versatile", but I find the 3 way switch along with the 3 EQ's gives me plenty of tones. I hope you can play a fiver to make your own decision. With regard to where to buy, check bassNW, basscentral, and basspalace for better deals than samash. I would strongly recommend that you shop used at or where mint Stingrays commonly go for $800-1000. Good luck.
  3. Gman

Jan 4, 2000
    Indianapolis, IN
    I worried alittle bit about that too, but after having mine for a few days, I don't care. Even if it only has one tone (NOT), it's a great tone, and it's MINE. Played through my B100R, it just kills.

I really don't find a big difference in the switch postions. Position 1 and 2 sound the same to me. I can hear a difference in position 3, however, I prefer the middle position.

Where you can really dial in your tone is with the 3 band EQ.

As far as best deal, the one I got listed for $1900 and a few odd dollars. Guitar Center wanted $1500, and I got a better deal at Bass Central than your price from Sam Ash.

4. JPAmorim

Jul 17, 2001
    Rio de Janeiro
    Maybe SR can be a one trick pony, but a mighty one!!!!

The 3 EQ configuration is enough for me!!! Plenty of tones!!!

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I think that the Stingray 4 is more of a one trick pony than the Stingray 5.

As I(and others) have said before, the Stingray 5 is more of a Sterling than a Stingray, electronics-wise at least.
  6. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    Stingray5 a one trick pony? Thats bull****! Saying a stingray5 is a one trick pony is like calling a p bass versatile.
  7. foolfighter24

foolfighter24 Guest

Apr 22, 2000
    I believe its more of a 5 trick pony.

*Bum Bum Pish!*

Thank you thank you! You're a lovely crowd!
  8. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Yeah... I don't think it is really a one trick pony at all... as for me. my stingray 5 can get some nice tones. Position 2 ( single coil) can be a bit noisy but on the right song, you can't beat it. I use all three settings.. mainly I set it on three i think it is (when the switch faces the neck) this is series mode.. I love the Stingray5. The Stingray 4 isn't necessarily a one trick pony but it doesn't have the 3-way switch selector.. oh well.. both are great basses
  9. bassheavy

bassheavy banned

then it is a multi-trick stallion.
  10. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    Chuck Levin's in Wheaton Maryland has a huge selection of Ray's and they always have good prices on everything. Too bad you're in Florida. You should check out bass central, it's in Florida somewhere.
  11. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    The SR5 isn't as versatile as a G&L L-2500 but it's a great bass. I personally don't think that the 3 way does so much. The 3 different positions are different but the same. :) I just played one in GC in Queens & It's a great bass (if you like the MM kinda sound). Like other's have said b4 me in this thread, the 3 band EQ is great & the bass is a KILLER bass!!!!

As for getting it cheap, try eBay.:)
  12. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    I think calling a bass a one trick pony is just another way saying it has a signature sound, it just doesn't come off sounding as nice. :)

Rays have a certain sound, it's part of their character. They don't stray far from that sound really, but I don't think the people who play them are looking for them to be all things to all people. The reason they play them is for the Ray sound because they feel it fits in well with what they play.

As for my own opinion.....I'll never tell! :D
  13. KIN

Jul 17, 2001
    The Stingray 5 is an industy standard, in most players opion. Couple that with a piezo bridge and your ready for most situations.
  14. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    This "one trick" 'Ray 5 thing is bassplaying urban myth. The 'Ray 5 is capable of quite a variety of tones. And through a top-notch rig, the toggle gives you quite a noticeable difference/range of sounds. Through a small practice amp, the toggle didn't seem to do much but I was amazed when I switched back and forth when I was running through my SWR rig the other night (Bass 750 and Goliath Sr.). The 'Ray 5 versatility is a bit more subtle, perhaps, than a G&L2500 or RB5, but just as broad, IMO.
  15. BenF

Mar 29, 2001
    Boston area
    Yikes, am I in the minority here, but I ditched a Stingray 5 because I couldn't get the variety of sounds I was looking for - even with the coil tap switch and EQ. Also, the sucker just got buried when I played it live with the blues power trio I was in at the time (around '93.) I replaced it with a warmoth jazz. As always, that's just my experience and YM will certainly V.
  16. neptune

Feb 2, 2001
    1. Definitely get the piezo option.
    2. The effect of the 3-way switch can be quite pronounced, or it can be minimal,depending on the eq settings of the bass itself, and the amp being used.