Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stingray Fives

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by =^..^=, Mar 25, 2001.

1. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    I know with the name of the moderator for this forum I'm probably on dodgy ground but....

Does anyone else think that the pickguard on the stringray five looks wrong ? Whats under it ? is the wiring all chanelled out under it ? or would it be possible to fit the lovely shaped one from a four ?

Since the first time I ever saw a MM bass I've loved the way they looked, and the sound is just to die for ! So now I'm loooking for a five string to add to my stable I thought it would be nice to try a stingray five.

I'll get the good bits out of the way - I loved the sound, the neck and the way it played, but disliked the angular contours of the body, I would have liked it in Mistic Dream - but its not available, and I hated the shape of the pickguard...

So it looks like if I buy one its gonna spend the first two months of its life at a guitar maker getting changed into the bass I'd like. Its just a shame that EB don't have a custom shop 'cos I'm really going to have to pay through the nose for this...

2. Reid

Reid

Aug 25, 2000
    Oakville, Ontario
    Maybe you should buy one of the jay turser stingray copies, they have the four pickguard.=]

3. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I have a Stingray 4 and 5 and must say I like them both for their differences. My 5's white pearloid on white body with white pup looks bitchen', IMO. I think that if you alter the body shape on that fiver, it has now lost its persona, not to mention its resale. Have you tried some G&Ls? Might suit you better, and save all that customizing dough.
    Doc

4. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I like the body of the 5 but never owned a 4. However I do agree about the scratchplate, I simply ordered a black one with black scratchplate. Sorted! However this method does limit the choices to black on black and white on white.

How about Lakland? They have a dinky little plate or none at all.

5. Hey. I have a G&L L-1505, which is their version of a 'Ray 5. It has no pickguard at all (for pics and specs you can go to www.glguitars.com). Mine is natural ash with a pao ferro fingerboard.

I think you should consider getting the G&L -- it is actually capable of being more "in-your-face" than the Ray 5, but can also get a really bassy reggae tone too. And it's less expensive!

How could you go wrong????

6. Actually I agree with you Raid. I like to have the option of removing the pickguard ( never really saw the purpose of a pickguard on a bass ;)) and I liked the oval MM4 one better. But I love the bass so much I was willing to make that sacrifice, and it was worth it. Plus I got used to the pickguard and actually like it a lot now.

7. I took the plate from my ’97 Ray 5 to see what was beneath it and it is channelled out just for the pots and pre-amp. I would have thought it would be a fairly simply job to cut and shape the plate so it only covers just this small part of the bass, or even have one made up fairly cheaply. I was thinking about doing this when I first got mine.

Of course you will still have the screw holes, but you could put the old ones back or even perhaps some gold ones. I’ve done that with my Sadowsky and it barely notices.

8. I do like my SR5's overall look with the big pickguard.. but one day I took it off and I was honestly saddened to see how beautiful the wood that is covered up is. The area under the pickguard that isn't channeled is probably the best wood grain on the whole body of my bass.

9. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    I had thought about the black on black option, but I may go with Spikes idea of getting a cover made for the Pots + Pre amp and removing the guard completly.

Another thought was to buy a four string and try to get a 5 string bridge/neck/pups and get a little routing done but I think the Spikes way will be easier !

I'm not worried about re-sale value 'cos I'm never selling another instrument as long as I live (I had a lovely 5 string about 9 years ago which I sold when I got my thumb. Doh. And then there was the pristine '76 jazz I sold for £400 about 9 years ago. Doh)

Thanks for your replies guys - I really want the Stingray sound and neck...

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX

Hey, there's an idea...get the MM5, then re-shape the pickgaurd to just fit over the routings, and pots, then gold screws (or just screws with a close matching color on the head)...it's be like a Stingray with a big ol' aortal vein. Well, actually, put like that, it's sounds gross, but I think that would look cool!