Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stingray + Flatwounds = Awesome

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eqvolvorama, Mar 19, 2006.

1. eqvolvorama

eqvolvorama Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2000
    Arlington, Virginia
    So today, on a whim, I decided to replace the XLs on my Stingray 4 with Ernie Ball flats 50-105. Not sure why I did it, nor what I expected to accomplish by doing so. Then I took the bass to rehearsal.

Wow.

What I got was a great, round bass sound with loads of attack and less of the unforgiving Stingray top-end. It's the deep, but clear tone that I've heard on recordings but have had trouble achieving myself. It's a whole different animal. I love it.

I played half of rehearsal through my customary 1001RB before persuading the guitarist to let me play through his late 1960s Bassman. Momma. (Of course, a plank of wood and a rubber band would sound alright on that thing)

I definitly like this sound, and am thinking I might take the Elixirs off the Yamaha BB3000S later this week and replace them with some TI's.

Maybe this is how bassplayers age - they start using tube amps and switch to flatwounds. Next I'll be shoving foam under the strings.

2. Fong249

Fong249

May 25, 2005
    Washington, DC
    now you cant slappppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp

maybe thats how bassplayers age... instead of making clankity clank noises like the youngins they begin to play the strings like they were supposed to be played.

3. Please explain to me how strings are supposed to be played, kthxbye.

4. ponticat

ponticat Gold Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2005
    Alexandria, Virginia
    Ernie Ball makes five different sets. I just put an .045-.100 set on my Squier P-Bass. N-I-I-I-C-E!

Attached Files:

5. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    I must have a headstart in the bassplayer aging process.

I have a set of TI Flats coming in, and I'm going to be putting them, for now, on my 3TS '75 SX jazz with the chrome covers. I can't wait!

hmmmm....foam.......:ninja:

6. I think what you meant to say was that lifting tube amps causes bassplayers to age :bag:

7. clankity clank...

man.. ive never slaped... i must have been born old...

8. Im in love with flats on my StingRay 5. Its just different, but so good. I love the TI's, but will be giving the EBs a shot soon.

9. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    I think you should ask that in the technique forum.

Yeah flats sound great on fenders (the stingray was designed by leo so techincally it is).

10. When I bought a BB5000A I put TI Jazz Flats on my Yamaha BB3000A and I've been loving its tone ever since. Very focused, very growly and the difference with the fiver now certainly is big enough to justify owning both. I never really liked the Stingray's almost hissing highs and considering that I'm also not a slapper it sounds like you've found yourself a great tone.

11. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Flats work on my 'Ray too.

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I like flats on my former 'Ray, but I sold it for a P-bass to get that REAL thump. Still itching for another Ray though, maybe I'll throw flats back on it.

13. The villagers demand a clip

14. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    I recently put some TIs on my Glaub, and boy, does it thump.

Basically, it's a clear-yet-huge thump. They work perfectly with this bass. I'm sold.