Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stingray for an MTD Heir? Is this stupid?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LonghornBass, Apr 9, 2002.

1. Hello all,

I've been thinking about replacing my EB stingray for a five string for awhile now and the MTD Heir 5 has really caught my eye. I was attracted to the looks of it and the 19mm string spacing. I played a four string version of it recently and really liked it, but I have some reservations:

Its passive (although I like its fundamental tone, I would like some flexibility), its made in overseas, and the hardware is not completely up to par with the stingray's.

Although the fit and finish of the instrument was fine and the hardware wasn't glaringly horrible, the fact that it is made overseas still bugs me. Is this stupid? I was talking with a dealer who said a quality preamp would make it a killer bass, and it would cost me about what I could sell my stingray for. Anyways, I'm curious to what you guys think of all this. Would this be a good idea or a disaster?

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Stupid. I believe that Mike personally goes over all the Heirs, Kingstons and Grendels himself, so there aren't many, if any, lemons.

3. The stuff he has comming out of the Cech republic is awesome. I am considering one my self.

My vote is get it as long as the Stingray isn't a collectors piece or emotionaly valueable.

Althought in most cases you would be better off to sell the stingray on Ebay or something. The Heirs seem to be going for around 600. Most Stingrays can get atleast that much in good shape then you could pocket the rest of the stingray money and buy a Duncan preamp.

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Actually, the Heir is made in Korea.

Killer bass for the price, better than many basses that cost more.

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Y'know, I gotta hand it to Mike...his overseas budget line at ~$500 kick out some stuff that's 1500+ That says something about the basses this guy is responsible for.

Now all I need is a lot of money for a 535...

6. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I don't know if I would suggest Trading your MM for it. But if you decide you like the feel and sound of the MTD better, you should pick it up. I think you should keep both :).. you can never have too many basses

7. Yeah, the Heirs and Kingstons are Korean-made; the Grendel are made in the Czech REpublic. I always loved Bartolini J-pickups but hated the string spacing on a Fender Jazz; an MTD Grendel is my savior. lol. Maybe not savior, but I definitely want one at some point.

However, I have a larger case of GAS right now for a Kingston 5 than I ever thought possible....:cool:

8. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    I have an MTD Heir 4. I wouldn't be concerned about it being made overseas. Apparently each body is hand carved and the action is unbelievably low. I don't typically pop and slap but it just asks for it.

I think your right about the preamp. I asked Mike Dimin what he thought about the pickups and he said he plays it stock but suggested either a Sadowsky or Fodera preamp. I believe the pickups are a Bartolini spec made in Korea. Tonally I think the pickups are decent and the maple top finish looks better than any picture can show so I would be reluctant to start carving up the top. I working on a way to remove the pickguard and over up the neck joint.

I would be more concerned about the basswood body. My only real criticism of the bass is that it's light.

9. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    You better get one then Chris. They've been discontinued and might become very hard to find at some point.

10. Don't be concerned about where it's made. If I read between the lines, you don't want to sell the MM.

Save up for the Heir. Personally, I'd rather have a Musicman.

Mike J.

11. not worth it. the only 5 string bass i would consider trading your stingray 4 for is a stingray 5, but that's just me.