Stingray for Country?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Purs, May 3, 2002.

1. Purs

Feb 20, 2002
    Stop laughing long enough to read this please. I'm in love with a Stingray but never played one. The band I'm in plays a little of everything but mostly Country . Will I be happy with the sound of the Ray for this type of music? thanks.
  2. Gman

Jan 4, 2000
    Indianapolis, IN
    A Stingray would be a fantastic bass for country. As clean and bright as you want, or as low and boomy as you want. Go for it !!

3. KPO2000

KPO2000 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2001
    I agree and actually, I don't think there's a type of music a Stingray can't handle really. The tone controls and where you play relative to the pick-up can't create a lot of variety. Not the most versatile bass, but certainly not a one trick pony in my book either.
  4. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Stingrays are very versatile. I've seen many a Fender Jazz used for country so certainly a Stingray (better IMO) will perform famously.
  5. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I sell 'em to country players all the time. They love 'em for playin' that stuff! :D

Highly recommended!!!
  6. I agree with Gard. I'm not a country fan, but a pretty decent percentage of the time I roll past the country channels on TV the bass player in the video is sporting a Stingray.

The best advice I can give would be to find one and try it out! I like my Stingray 5 quite a bit, and I'm getting ready to experiment with putting some flats on it.

7. TheLarch

TheLarch Supporting Member

Obviously, the Stingray is an awesome bass, but if you are looking at one for country playing, you owe it to yourself to also check out the G&L L2000 and ASAT which I think are more versatile and can nail THE country sound. I played alt-country and roots-rock for years and the G&L L2000 perfectly fits the bill with its choice of neck & bridge pickups, series and parallel options, and ability to go passive, active and active with treble boost. Whatever sound you are looking for, there are 18 combinations to dial it in exactly as you like. It really is a phenomenal bass and they are totally undervalued on the used market. The ASAT is just as versatile and with its Telecaster bass looks, it is the perfect country bass aesthetically, especially if you opt for one with the f-hole.
  8. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    My dad played country for over 20 years on a Rickenbacker 4001, so I think you could make anything work.................expcept a BC Rich of course. :D
  9. I'm GASsing for a Stringray 5, fretless, lined, piezo, vintage sunburst, plain headstock.
  10. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

It's called "country."

But if you listen to the lines on uptempo country stuff, it's pure rock!.......where the Ray sounds right at home. It's difficult to find real "country" if you're any kind of traditionalist/purist. That's not just my opinion, but also shared by some guys I know who have been in the Nashville/country scene.

The amps "country" bassists use are a different story, though, IME.
  11. Gman

Jan 4, 2000
    Indianapolis, IN
    I agree completely.. I turned away from country somewhere around fifteen years ago. If anybody can tell me if anybody besides Allison Krauss and Marty Stewart are making REAL country, I'd be happy to give it a listen. The stuff they play on the radio is pure MTV with a twang.

Most country players I've spoken to look for Peavey or Crate amps. :confused:

12. Winston TK

Winston TK Hairpiece Adventurer

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    There are some really good points being made here.

I just purchased a Stingray a couple of weeks ago, and although I am obviously no MusicMan afficianado, I can tell you that the Stingray seems to be a very versatile bass. Much more so than I imagined.

Despite sporting a single pickup, it's a bloody good one! And, with all the EQ possibilities at your fingertips (whether with the 2-band, or 3-band), you can tailor the sound very effectively.

Position of the plucking/picking hand is a major factor too. Just anchor your thumb on the end of the fingerboard for some great enhanced bottom. Try this before even dialing in more bass.

Of course, the type of country you are playing is extremely significant here. Traditional country obviously makes use of the classic, boomier bass tone (P-bass). But, if you're talking New Country, then more of a midrange punch is the order of the day. I agree with Rickbass' comment. New Country's sound and production techniques are as slick and refined as the most anal studio-fied pop/rock.

Be it boom or punch, you'll have it. Either way, you can't go wrong with a 'Ray.
  13. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Damn straight! You all can keep your pop-country, with artists like Shania, Faith, Tim McGraw and Garth Brooks! I'll take George Jones, Junior, Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, Willie Nelson, Johnny Paycheck and Charlie Pride any day. You want "new" artists? Well, throw in some Dwight Yoakum and some George Strait and call it good.

PS...I just downloaded an oldie but a goodie last night -- David Frizzell's "I'm Gonna Hire A Wino." Classic, baby. Classic.
  14. Gman

Jan 4, 2000
    Indianapolis, IN
    Damn...Haven't heard that for awhile.:)

I'm with you 100%. If I could find somebody that wanted to play that stuff, I might consider buying a Stetson.:D

I'm also witya on the Dwight and George. Although they've both been around since before this "commercial country crap".

Why do I feel like I'm setting up a flame ? I'm open minded......tell me what is good in today's country. I'll listen.

15. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    If you want to some real @$$ kicking country, and and one of the greatest, and rawest live albums to boot, (with killer bass playing by Keith Christopher) I highly suggest picking up Shaver's Live at Smith's Olde Bar. It was a group founded by Billie Joe Shaver (who of course wrote a good number of tunes for Waylon Jennings) and his Son Eddy. (who passed away a while ago :( ) Great songs, and great playing. The group using great use of dynamics and "letting the songs breath" on the album. Best way I can describe it is Dwight Yokuam meets SRV.

And I agree, down with all this poppy, corny, "She thinks my tractor's sexy" BS. Long live Merle Haggard, Johnny Cash, Emmylou Harris, Willie Nelson, Jr. Brown, Waylon Jennings, and Freddy Fender.
  16. drewie

Jan 20, 2002
    Cardiff, Wales, UK
    IMO StingRays' suit just about any style of music. I play a StingRay 5 in both a rock band and jazz/celtic group. I find that it fits in perfectly - even alongside acoustic instruments, like flute and cittern. Don't be put off by its perceived reputation as a very aggressive sounding bass. That it most certainly is, however, if you play close to the neck you can really smooth out the tone nicely. Great for playing waltzes! :D
  17. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Drewie - please, I'd love to pick your mind about Celtic basslines!

And another vote for Stingrays (and Sterlings) for country...
  18. Gents,

I'm looking real hard at an SR5 and looking for input from SR5 owners.

What I want to know is if the 'Ray is "percussive". I define this as the classic rapid attack I get from my P-bass. I suppose this is also called "thump".

My RB5 (j-bass) is not percussive and does not thump. I'm gonna take a chance on a 'Ray and hope it thumps. If it really thumps, I'll retire my newly acquired MIM-P and use the 'Ray since I prefer 5 strings.

19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    When I went to Fan Fair in Nashville a couple years ago, the session bassist that backed up most of the artists was playing a big red Stingray 5 just like mine. Onliest thing is, why do you want to stande there with a 10+ pound bass all night. Get an American Fender Jazz Deluxe V FMT. Whoa.

20. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    A little better, but that consarned 52K limit really blows!