Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stingray for DUB!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by blaire, Apr 12, 2005.

1. blaire

blaire

Jul 15, 2003
    The land of Rice
    Hi, I just quit my rock band and have set up a dub band with my friend. I have a stingray which is really designed to cut through not make a nice soft bwom sound for dub. I cannot afford another bass. What do you think? Possible? Just turn the treble down and bass up?

2. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Maybe I'm just dumb, but, what is DUB?

-Eric.

3. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    I use mine for dub. There's a few things you can do to get that sound, including fitting flatwounds and boosting the bass and cutting the treble, muting with the palm and playing with the thumb, etc. I don't really bother with these that much.

The biggest improvement you'll get is by getting yourself a Dod FX25B envelope filter. If you roll off the sensitivity, the envelope doesn't open, leaving that ultra-bassy dub sound you're looking for. If it's good enough for Bill Laswell...

4. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Worked for me no problem. Flatwounds and the forementioned dod pedal will help. I went back to roundwounds without the filter after a while- simply rolled back the treble and mids a bit- fattened it out with a pinch of compression and Boomshankar! (It sounded good)

5. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    When you say dub do you guys mean like reggae?

6. Bassliner

Bassliner

Mar 15, 2005
    Rotterdam
    Dub reggae is something else than reggae, but yeah ;)
    All I'd like to add here is; don't be a dummy and pump all the bass and cut all the treble. I've seen/heard it done, and it just kills your definition completely. Don't worry; PA guys usually will pump the bass anyway, whether you want it or not :meh: .
    My advice; don't go to extreme EQ settings boost bass a bit, cut treble and mid, but don't take bass to 10 and cut the rest to 0. I know it sounds a bit stupid, but I cant put it differently. It seems a fashion with reggae/ska bassplayers to do that.
    One little thing that works great in ska reggae: When you can play high up the neck. Most basses sound a bit 'deeper' there. So, what I mean is take the D on the E string instead of on the A string. Also, don't play over the pickup on your MM, but play more over the neck.
    Anyway, that's my opinion :p

7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I have noticed that if I want a more P-bass type of tone, I should avoid playing with my finger tips and I should hit the string with the fleshy part just before the fingertips. Along with cutting down the treble, this helps me get pretty close to a Dub kind of sound.

8. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Is this thing on!? Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, Source Audio, Hipshot
    A not entirely free method to get a good deep sound would be to swap out the pup (perhaps a Bartolini!?). Also, do youself a favor and buy a Fender thumbrest, install it level with the pickup, but close to the neck. All the meat is in that area.

9. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    My personal favorites for Dub/Dancehall/Roots are in this order: Fender Jazz, Fender Precision, and PRS.

Robbie Shakespear is right about the PRS thing...perfect for that sound...I use mine more than any others...If you're doing the modern electronic style dub than the PRS with the preamp on and rolled back almost all the way is perfect. If you want more presence in a live setting, it's passive mode does an excellent punchy Jazz sound, a la Flabba Holt.

I have a 73 P that's also a winner for roots era stuff, even though I know that a Precision isn't the first thing you'd think of.

For ol' school Rocksteady and Skatalites era Ska stuff, I have a Jazz fretless that does a good impersonation of Lloyd Brevett's upright.

I hear that the Bongos make for good reggae basses when rolled back too...

10. blaire

blaire

Jul 15, 2003
    The land of Rice
    Excellent people, thank you! I have an envelope filter so Ill try that. I dont want to go as far as changing the pup though. As for eq, I just remembered that my MTR (boss br 532?) has an effect called "bass driver" which boosts the bottom while retaining the highs and mids. I dont want to lose the highs and mids coz that would sound like mud. Ill keep experimenting.... ;)

11. OiBass

OiBass

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus,OH
    Aren't Ovations supposed to be da bomb for da dub?
    (Jah Wobble plays one)-

12. rudetayJP

rudetayJP

Jun 24, 2004
  13. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I can get those types of tones out of my Modulus Flea bass (modern day stingray, but a LOT brighter). Therefore you should definitely be able to get them out of your stingray.

14. Congratulations, Blaire. I've been dying to start a dub band for some time now.

I'll second dlloyd's recommendation of the DOD Envelope Filter, though I prefer the original green FX25. You can usually find them on eBay for under $50. Flatwounds are another thing to consider.

You shouldn't need to replace your pickup or buy a new bass. It may be ideal to have a pickup closer to the neck, but dub has more to do with time and feel and touch than the instrument you play IMHO.

15. Davo737

Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    Good call - I was just about to bring that up. Great live set, too, if anyone ever has the chance to check them out.

I've also found that, regardless of the bass used, a good bit of boost in the 200hz - 250hz area adds a very nice thickness to the sound without the harshness of higher mids or the mud of too much low-end.

16. RiddimKing

RiddimKing

Dec 29, 2004
    To those who asked:

Dub is a form of reggae ( including "dancehall" "rock steady" etc. for the sake of this argument). It was originally created in the studio by remixing reggae hits to emphasize the bass (using tons of compression, and other effects), with vocals and other tracks often dropped out or demphasized. Lee "Scratch" Perrry was one of the original innovators of this style. Hope this helps

17. Bassliner

Bassliner

Mar 15, 2005
    Rotterdam
    I'm using a 'customized' *lol* fretless Jazzbass copy atm for ska, reggae and dub.
    Controls: All open
    Amp: Boost bass a bit, rest stays flat
    But the trick that I just learned: MUTE!
    Hehe, and because I don't want to be palm muting all the time, I tried this little thing and it works:
    Squeeze a little dishcleaning sponge inbetween the bridge and bridge PU. It's a nice cross between palm muting, open playing electric and acoustic bass.
    a description of how it sounds;
    ..BLOOAB. blob. blobberblob. blob blobblob blob...
    It reminds me of those old Skatalites recordings, which were actually mostly or exclusively double bass I think.

And because this sponge looks like ****** :D I got myself a '62 Fender tort pickguard, ashtrays and a thumbrest. I'll post a pic when it's all installed.

:scowl: the bridge doesn't fit under the ashtray so I'll have to get the saw out ;)

18. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    i play a lot of reggae all my life as a musician and ever..ever with a Jazz Bass